Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
...or a SANE rv'er!

As some know many went south, I prefer to go north, okay, that's not entirely true, I had business in Yakima, WA and due to covid elected to drive instead of fly and make it a journey. Journey it sure was, adventure not so much. I thought I'd escape Yakima without the joys of winter, at least the white stuff or clear stuff. The seas parted from a recent snow and cleared, it was in the 50's, unusually mild. Snow wasn't supposed to happen until Saturday and I was leaving Friday. For the first time in a long time the weatherman was wrong, yeah, I know...it snowed Thursday. As I wasn't expecting much I didn't react to it "properly" such as closing my slides. So Friday came and we have several inches on the ground and of course I can't get my full wall slide (FWS) closed as the slide topper, wonderful design, is folding up on itself instead of rolling up. I tried getting up on my stick ladder which is a death trap in itself and sweep off the snow, no luck, won't close. I then try my wand I got for this, it did help to spray hot water but now I have compacted slush. I had to then use my telescoping ladder, with no one around to hold the ladder, placed on the snow, to get up and clear with my hands (soaked gloves). I got the slide closed 99% of the way and I'm ready to drive. I put my AutoSocks on to get me to the Interstate which was about 10 miles and that worked fine. Whew!

About 20 minutes away the roads cleared, ahhhh, home free, let's get out of here. Then an hour later snow cover again...crap! I'm fine, taking it carefully then as I get into OR I see trucks lined up on the side of the road putting chains on. WHAAAAAAT?? What is up ahead? The roads don't look thaaaat bad. Is there something I don't know about? Well major CRAP, I better pull over and put on the AutoSocks again, thanks God I bought them before venturing north on this trip! THEY WORK and are a lifesaver, literally! I can tell you that had I not had the AutoSocks I would have not been able to get off the side of the road where we "chain up" as I had to roll forward to get the otherside of the AutoSock on and I didn't roll, the tire slid in place. AutoSocks on I pulled right out and on my way. AutoSocks have a 30mph max speed which I adhered to.

On the other side, maybe two hours later I removed the AutoSocks and continued into ID to Meridian/Boise KOA where I stayed a week ago. Thinking I was home free...wrong! Cars everywhere in ditches and cops forcing the interstate to slow down to 25mph. BLACK ICE! Yaye, just when I think I'm almost there, 30mi away took over an hour to complete. I made it. And now I sitting here in 6 inches of snow but after boondocking a week behind a maintenance facility I at least have full hookups, although my FWS is frozen shut due to the wet folded slide topper but that's fine.

On this trip I decided next year I'm going to lead a caravan into northern Canada for those that want to join. I can't imagine how boring Florida must be. I realize the 30 slots I'll make available will probably be sold out in seconds but I'll let you know when registration opens. I know many of you want to go north with me next winter, your dream will come true.

IMG_2427.png
IMG_2431.png
IMG_2432.png
IMG_2428.png

FOR SALE: 2017 Newmar Ventana. Only lightly used. Never rained on. No smoking. No pets. Factory new. No modifications. Low miles. Best offer. :ROFLMAO:

And, @Neal, there is a reason why it is named “Deadman Pass.”

We’ve got to get your internal, seasonal compass recalibrated. Mine too!

It is snowing big time right now at the sticks&bricks here in Washington. Temp is 24. Wind is 15-20 mph. Shortly, I need to go out and fire up the F-350 snowplow to clear our half-mile lane. Gonna be one of those days.

Be safe, my friend! Oh, and don’t hold a slot for us on the 2021 Northern Canada winter tour; we’ll be just fine right here in northwest Washington state.

TJ

Wow, and NO thank you!

@Neal and Elli leading the trip.

Silent Film Dog GIF by Det Danske Filminstitut

lol, I showed Trish the pictures and she said "I thought Neal was a smart man?" and she followed up with "He's crazy." haha

lol, I showed Trish the pictures and she said "I thought Neal was a smart man?" and she followed up with "He's crazy." haha
You both are coming with me next year. I'll find someone to cover the CG.

Never heard of Autosocks. Wow - I cannot imagine how they work, even after I watched the video.

Yah! kinda like going to the moon. Cabin fever must be a b*#@h.

Interesting read, as I am sitting here in central Oregon with a bunch of snow on the ground and 9 degrees. I was pondering the need to consider buying chains for my MH and ran across snow socks as an alternative. As they have been around a while, you do not hear very much about them, so was glad to read yor report on them. Based on your comments, it appears you are very satisfied and would recommend them as a viable substitute for chains? And, after using them for a bit, how are they holding up? At $200 a set, hate to have them only last a few uses.

Latest resources

Back