Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
I've heard conflicting thoughts on the "need" to obtain a non commercial Class A license if you are a CA resident and operate a >26,000lb and/or Greater than 40' RV. The CA handbook appears to talk around the topic but only addresses the need of a Non Commercial Class A in the long House Car rules.

Thoughts? Common practices?

I think “California resident” is the key here. Basically, it depends on which state has issued your driver license. Since we do not have a California driver license, we can drive our coach in California based on the license requirements of the state that issued our license (Washington).

TJ

I can tell you from experience you need a class B "NON -COMMERCIAL" license to operate a motorhome over 40 feet. It requires written tests and a driving test with the motorhome. Its not an trivial effort and @CaptainGizmo can articulate it better than I can.

I'm pretty sure you will need an endorsement for that size and weight. That may consist a non commercial class A, or an RV trailer endorsement. I know for a fact that the majority of people that should have an RV license endorsement don't. It's probably the same amount of people exceeding weight limits of their truck or trailer. As far as "needing" one.. You certainly don't want to need one and not have one. God forbid you are in an accident, and especially be at fault, and be driving out of class. For a definitive answer, call CHP and ask for the commercial enforcement division. They will know. Your average patrol officer or CHP officer probably will not. It is not uncommon for the DMV manual to be vague. If you do speak with a commercial enforcement officer, and they say you are good, ask him/her to provide you with the California Vehicle Code section stating such, and carry it with you.

Latest resources

Back