Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Tkroper

RVF Newbee
We have a class A, and want to take a dirt bike and flat tow a manual Mini Cooper. We are new to RVing. What is the best way to accomplish this? Thanks!

There are several motorcycle carriers that allow towing behind an RV. We use the Hydralift for hauling a full size motorcycle. Its designed to tow a trailer/auto behind the carrier. They are not cheap and the frame of the coach has to be modified but they work very well. They can also be folded up and away when not carrying a bike.

Attachments

• EDB9EE1D-56D3-4B9F-B614-6396A0E11E65.jpeg
    EDB9EE1D-56D3-4B9F-B614-6396A0E11E65.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 96F933B7-C9F4-4E36-B1E0-DDA3D0BC58A5.jpeg
    96F933B7-C9F4-4E36-B1E0-DDA3D0BC58A5.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 12
There are several motorcycle carriers that allow towing behind an RV. We use the Hydralift for hauling a full size motorcycle. Its designed to tow a trailer/auto behind the carrier. They are not cheap and the frame of the coach has to be modified but they work very well. They can also be folded up and away when not carrying a bike.

Mind if I ask how much these are? There is no pricing info on their website.

HydraLift starts at just a bit over $5K and runs up to $15K for the top-of-the-line version. I think I have about $6.25 in the quarters jar by the pay phone if that will help. :ROFLMAO:

TJ

When I priced them a couple months ago they were around $5,500. The added cost comes from the modification of the coach for the mount. You can weld them or bolt the hitch on the coach. Luckily for me the PO had already installed (welded) the hitch on the RV. It took a while but I found a used on the internet for $2,500. Here is what the mount looks like.

My BMW weighs just over 650lbs. So far we have around 3500 miles of hauling the bike without any issues. The coach handles the same with or without the bike loaded. No noticeable MPG difference.

Attachments

• 847A6CEA-F5DC-44AA-AAA5-BFF39160DE0B.jpeg
    847A6CEA-F5DC-44AA-AAA5-BFF39160DE0B.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
@Tkroper I have a Ventana 4369 with a tag. I'm using a Hydralift and I'm very satisfied with it. I carry a Harley Road King which comes in just over 750lbs. I wanted the sturdiest lift I could find. As mentioned by @skychs the Hydralift is hard mounted to the coach which in my view was a significant differentiator. I tow a Ford Explorer with no issue. In my case, when I have the bike on the lift I use an 18" extension between the lift and the tow bar. The extension moves the tow bar back to keep the tow from ramming the hood into the lift in sharp turns. (my Hydralift has the optional platform on it). One additional thing to consider would be the "side load" that a tow may put on the lift / hitch when turning. To me the products only attach to the coach receiver would be susceptible to issues and no question significantly less "sturdy" than the Hydralift approach. The weight of your bike and tow are certainly less than my set up so a "lighter duty" and typically less costly product may serve you just fine. I bought my Hydralift used on Craig's list for ~ $2k.

Latest resources

Back