Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

dakotaguy

RVF Newbee
Am new at this and have 2014 Honda CRV set up with brake system to pull behind my 2018 Phaeton pusher. Since car is so light compared to size & power of RV, do some just skip setting up and using the brake system? Thanks

Am new at this and have 2014 Honda CRV set up with brake system to pull behind my 2018 Phaeton pusher. Since car is so light compared to size & power of RV, do some just skip setting up and using the brake system? Thanks
NO...no...no...noooooo! First, most states require braking systems to be installed on towed vehicles weighing more than 1,500 pounds. The 2014 Honda CRV weighs 3,300-3,550 pounds, depending on the specific model. I know that to be true; we tow one!

Then, there's the safety aspect; yours and other people's. Braking systems on towed vehicles serve two purposes; (1) assisting in braking of the toad/RV combination and (2) applying the brakes on the toad if it should ever come loose from the RV. These are called 'break-away" systems. You don't want to be responsible for the tragic results of a towed vehicle coming loose and crashing into another vehicle; probably head-on.

Please don't even entertain the thought of towing a vehicle without the appropriate braking system installed.

TJ

NO...no...no...noooooo! First, most states require braking systems to be installed on towed vehicles weighing more than 1,500 pounds. The 2014 Honda CRV weighs 3,300-3,550 pounds, depending on the specific model. I know that to be true; we tow one!

Then, there's the safety aspect; yours and other people's. Braking systems on towed vehicles serve two purposes; (1) assisting in braking of the toad/RV combination and (2) applying the brakes on the toad if it should ever come loose from the RV. These are called 'break-away" systems. You don't want to be responsible for the tragic results of a towed vehicle coming loose and crashing into another vehicle; probably head-on.

Please don't even entertain the thought of towing a vehicle without the appropriate braking system installed.

TJ
Thanks very much for reply.

If your car comes off the tow bar for whatever reason, and you have no auxiliary brake system installed, it will go whever it wants at 60+ MPH. If it crosses the median or goes into the other lane and kills someone, do you have the necessary funds to protect yourself in the coming law suit? Because trust me, there will be a lawsuit coming!! :oops:

A Honda CRV behind your Phaeton will seem likes there is nothing there. Your Phaeton has enough braking power for the coach and the CRV. With that said, the concern is more about a tow pin coming loose or stolen, the unibody of the CRV cracking/braking or the tow bar failing for whatever reason. If that happens the CRV can separate from the coach and who knows what direction it will go. For me, the biggest reason for a braking system is the "break away" system to stop the toad.

I believe you can buy just a breakaway away break system, but it is probably not much cheaper than a complete system. ReadyBrute makes a tow bar, break system as an all in one unit. It's a surge brake attached to the tow bar that pulls a cable that is attached to your CRV brake pedal. For a small car, I think it's a pretty good system and a cost effective way to go. The cable stays mounted and has quick disconnects.

Need to have a system.... I'm happy with our ReadyBrute Elite II. Installed the baseplate, the surge brake and lights myself. Likely a on line video on how to set up a CRV

Latest resources

Back