Prevost
RV Model
Marathon #1250
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2015 Jeep Trailhawk
Fulltimer
No
I got asked a great question by my insurance agent today as she is reviewing our coverage. I was asked about my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and whether the odometer is turning when it is being towed behind the motorhome. I am not sure, to be honest as I have never paid attention to it until now. If you are flat towing and the transfer case is in neutral, is the odometer turning or not?

MapNerd

Staff member
RVF Moderator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4326
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Ford F-150
Fulltimer
Yes
It absolutely probably should not be.
The odometer counts miles on the engine. (Update: not true. Odometer is a mileage measurement for all car components. This is why if you replace your engine. The odometer still doesn’t get reset).

Even with my correction, I still think the odometer should not turn when being towed. If your odometer is turning while you tow, your wallet is about to take a severe beating from the repair man.

Last edited:

NWIP

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4369
RV Length
43’ 9”
TOW/TOAD
2016 Colorado
Fulltimer
Yes
2016 Colorado odometer doesn’t turn, knowing this I have factored in coach mileage when rotating/balancing or replacing tires. I believe I have approximately 45k miles above odometer mileage on toad.

Want to replace toad but with truck prices and availability not willing to right now?

docj

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Beaver
RV Model
Patriot Thunder Princeton
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2014 CR-V
Fulltimer
Yes
On most, if not all toads, the electronic odometer doesn't operate unless the electrical system is in the "on" position. Our 2014 CR-V has ~40,000 more miles than is indicated on the odometer. I do take this into account for servicing of those systems that would get wear and tear from this extra mileage. For example, I wasn't surprised to have had to replace the tie-rod ends at ~95,000 miles since, in reality, they had seen ~130,000 miles of wear.

rjwilliams11741

At Cruise Speed
We have a 2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and the odometor does not register mileage when towing. As "docj" noted you should account for the extra mileage when dealing with systems subject to wear and tear due to the dowing.

BT212

Fulltimer
No
I got asked a great question by my insurance agent today as she is reviewing our coverage. I was asked about my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and whether the odometer is turning when it is being towed behind the motorhome. I am not sure, to be honest as I have never paid attention to it until now. If you are flat towing and the transfer case is in neutral, is the odometer turning or not?

Toadometer

J&JD

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4018
RV Length
40’
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Fulltimer
No
2012 Wrangler Sahara. Been driven 50k & towed 50k. Jeep odometer shows 50k. Does not turn when towing.