Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

dbhausen

RVF Newbee
I am new to Trailering and getting my rig set up. I am towing a 19 Ft Riverside Retro with a Toyota Highlander. 3500# trailer with the 6 cylinder Toyota that is rated at 5000#. The front end of the Highlander lifts up a fair amount so I am going to install an Anderson WDS. My question is how much capacity do I need on my new electric tongue jack? The ratings on tongue jacks make no sense to me. My tongue weight spec. is about 380# but nobody makes a 380# tongue jack. I know I will also be lifting part of the vehicle weight with the jack but can't figure out what rating jack I need. The manual jack currently on the trailer is doable but a work-out. My wife has never tried it but I am pretty sure she would have a hard time. I think loading up the Anderson WDS with a manual jack would get old in a hurry.

a) is 3500 enough?
b) is 5000 way too much?
c) is 1500 to small?

If you have a guess or could make a recommendation either on rating or a specific jack it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You should have 10-15% of your trailer weight on the tongue and I would typically plan for about 1000 lbs of gear so get one that can lift more than 675 lbs. Maybe 1000 lbs to be safe?

Thanks Rosy, Your numbers seem about right for the trailer and cargo with a little room for error. Adding some for lifting up part of the tow vehicle (maybe another 500 lbs?) Comes to at most 1500 lbs total. Even with a huge safety margin it sounds like I don't need anything more than 2000 lbs.

Latest resources

Back