Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
We will be attempting to make reservations this year. Definitely will need to make reservations next year.
We made our reservations 18 months in advance for the 2017 total eclipse, and what we thought was a fairly remote town and it was overrun during the week of the eclipse. We secured a site in a nice RV Park, visited it one year in advance.... We drove around the surrounding countryside, located a little country road and followed it several miles, and decided that's where we're going to watch the eclipse.
When we returned the next year we found several hundred people camped in that area!
The 2024 eclipse will be even longer and it's going right across the center of Texas across several major cities - crossing Waco, brushing San Antonio, crossing Austin, Dallas. It will last longer in Texas than other parts of the country, and to eclipse enthusiasts. every second is import.
Maybe Texas will be better able to manage the crowds but I think there will be a lot more people because Texas is more accessible for many people than Wyoming where we were.

Scooterfan is right. I’m not sure how Texas or anyplace else can manage all the little country roads. We were lucky. The eclipse came right through our backyard. And we invited a few friends.
F5102087-1761-4141-9123-D88C9B30602B.jpeg

We will be attempting to make reservations this year. Definitely will need to make reservations next year.
We made our reservations 18 months in advance for the 2017 total eclipse, and what we thought was a fairly remote town and it was overrun during the week of the eclipse. We secured a site in a nice RV Park, visited it one year in advance.... We drove around the surrounding countryside, located a little country road and followed it several miles, and decided that's where we're going to watch the eclipse.
When we returned the next year we found several hundred people camped in that area!
The 2024 eclipse will be even longer and it's going right across the center of Texas across several major cities - crossing Waco, brushing San Antonio, crossing Austin, Dallas. It will last longer in Texas than other parts of the country, and to eclipse enthusiasts. every second is import.
Maybe Texas will be better able to manage the crowds but I think there will be a lot more people because Texas is more accessible for many people than Wyoming where we were.
Great idea to plan early. We drove the same day to watch the eclipse. It was an amazing time. This time we should plan a longer trip to meet with some friends.

We had one here a few years ago. 2017. Looked at it with a filter, took some pics. Didn't think it was any big deal. 2.5 minutes.
Ozzy Osbourne sang Howl At The Moon when the eclipse started at a place about 18 miles away, I heard he really sucked.

Well, Fish, they are pretty rare. Especially the total variety. IMHO, they are incredible to view. My first was as long as they can get. Near 7 minutes. July 11, 1991. Only a few dozen from 1955 to 2039. Many folks spend big dollars chasing them all over the world. Even into places most of us would not step foot. Like Chad!! And the arctic or Russia for really short durations. The annular variety is even chased by more. You can track them over a 5 thousand year period at Five Millennium Canon of Solar Eclipses: -1999 to +3000 - Xavier Jubier - Fred Espenak - Jean Meeus

Every dawg to his own bone. Having the total eclipse come through my own backyard was one of the two biggest events in my life. As excited as I was, a coworker didn’t think it was all that great. I still get excited thinking about the experience.

We made reservations over a year ago. You snooze- you lose

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back