Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

P968073

RVF Newbee
Hi! My name is Skye. I'm selling my house and moving into a Gulf Stream Mini SL 23GBH full-time while I (find land and) build my dream home.

I know absolutely nothing about RVs. I am also a traveling medical professional (new to that aspect of the job too). For the next month or two, I will be a volunteer EMT near Colorado Springs to help at the hospitals in the area. Then Kansas (maybe) or Hawaii. Not sure how to drive a camper to Hawaii. ;-)

Question: the camper has pop-out canvas queen beds. Can I open one of those in the Colorado winter to sleep in? How do you stay warm? Is there a way to insulate or maybe cover it with an insulated tarp?

Second question: I've been doing a lot of reading/research into a compost toilet. Still on the fence. What are your thoughts? Good and bad!

Thanks! I hope I enjoy this next adventure until I find my landing place.

Hi! My name is Skye. I'm selling my house and moving into a Gulf Stream Mini SL 23GBH full-time while I (find land and) build my dream home.

I know absolutely nothing about RVs. I am also a traveling medical professional (new to that aspect of the job too). For the next month or two, I will be a volunteer EMT near Colorado Springs to help at the hospitals in the area. Then Kansas (maybe) or Hawaii. Not sure how to drive a camper to Hawaii. ;-)

Question: the camper has pop-out canvas queen beds. Can I open one of those in the Colorado winter to sleep in? How do you stay warm? Is there a way to insulate or maybe cover it with an insulated tarp?

Second question: I've been doing a lot of reading/research into a compost toilet. Still on the fence. What are your thoughts? Good and bad!

Thanks! I hope I enjoy this next adventure until I find my landing place.
Hi Skye, did you ever go ahead with installing a composting toilet? I'm in that research boat now and just came across your post.

How has life on the road been for you???

Hi Skye, did you ever go ahead with installing a composting toilet? I'm in that research boat now and just came across your post.

How has life on the road been for you???

I loved it! I did go with a compost toilet. The canvas pop-out replacements were gonna cost more than the camper itself so I made the living room double as a bedroom.

For me, the compost toilet works out pretty well. I bought a 5 gallon bucket from home Depot, a toilet seat with lid from Walmart, and a diverter from JohnnyCompost on Etsy. Soybean waste bags and coconut coir pitch take care of the backend waste and smell. Dilute the urine and dump it anywhere or dilute it even more and it's great for flower beds.

Amazon.com

You can add vinegar to the bucket for urine to eliminate the smell. I clean it every week using Lysol hydrogen peroxide spray cleaner. Works great.

Sorry this is so late - I never saw your post. I lived in the camper full-time for two years. Best experience ever. The simple life.

Latest resources

Back