• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

fmpro

RVF Newbee
Hi Folks,

My name is John and my wife and I are a few years away from being empty nesters. We have six kid ranging 13 to 22. We figure now would be a good time purchase a nice RV. We both are still a long way from retiring but we plan on writing off some of the financing expense for my wife's business. As I stated I literally have NO RV experience. So firstly, I don't wish to waste anyones time. If there is a great source for newbies, I'd greatly appreciate the link! As we have no experience we are struggling to know what to look for. Length....it has to be roomy even with the side panels in the closed position. Two bathrooms are a must and it has to be well appointed. I've driven vehicles of all sizes so the lenght of the RV isn't a huge concern. I was thinking somewhere between 35 to 45 ft. We have plenty of room to park an RV at our home. My biggest concern with the length would of course be maneuverability and ease of driving. I'd ultimately like my wife to be able to drive the RV as well. She has less experience with larger vehicles but she's a great driver with fantastic hand/eye coordination. Here are my questions/concerns:

• New or Used - any special considerations to keep in mind when purchasing a new or used RV? I don't want a heavily used RV, but I suspect there are quite a few NICE RVs that are a few years old with low miles and light usage.
  • Gas vs Diesel - I'm leaning towards diesel. We will be towing a vehicle and/or toys and will be camping often in the mountains.
  • RV Brands - I've NO idea what brands I should be looking at and which one's I should stay away from.
  • Must have features?
  • Price range - 150 to 300. Obviously, I'd prefer be somewhere in the middle but that's our current budget.
Thanks in advance! Your input and time are appreciated!

Regards,
John

Welcome to the forum @fmpro, this is a great place to ask questions and learn.

I will try and answer some of your questions. First understand that now is a sellers market with prices being somewhat inflated both new and used units. Do your research, which will take time, prices may stabilize by the time your ready to purchase. Don’t be in a hurry.

New vs used- I originally planned to purchase used thinking first owner would take the big depreciation hit. My last 2 RVs have been new, I got what I wanted and didn’t have to accept less or fix someone else’s issues.

Gas vs diesel-Gas units will be cheaper, diesel will be better pulling and travel in mountainous areas.

RV brands-This can be a personal choice but look for quality and customer service by the manufacturer. I wouldn’t worry so much about dealers as much as manufacture. Generally Newmar, Tiffin and Entegra are highly rated.

Must have features-as you do your research you can start a list of what you determine are “must have”

Enjoy the journey, do your research, go to an RV show to look, ask lots of questions and you will decide what works for you. Good luck

Welcome to the forum @fmpro, this is a great place to ask questions and learn.

I will try and answer some of your questions. First understand that now is a sellers market with prices being somewhat inflated both new and used units. Do your research, which will take time, prices may stabilize by the time your ready to purchase. Don’t be in a hurry.

New vs used- I originally planned to purchase used thinking first owner would take the big depreciation hit. My last 2 RVs have been new, I got what I wanted and didn’t have to accept less or fix someone else’s issues.

Gas vs diesel-Gas units will be cheaper, diesel will be better pulling and travel in mountainous areas.

RV brands-This can be a personal choice but look for quality and customer service by the manufacturer. I wouldn’t worry so much about dealers as much as manufacture. Generally Newmar, Tiffin and Entegra are highly rated.

Must have features-as you do your research you can start a list of what you determine are “must have”

Enjoy the journey, do your research, go to an RV show to look, ask lots of questions and you will decide what works for you. Good luck
Thanks for the reply! Sounds like I've got some homework to do! Cheers!

Welcome! I would agree with about everything Bill said. As far as buying used or new, right now all bets are off. There is somewhat of a shortage on new larger diesel coaches coming out of the factories and used coach prices have risen. About 2023 could be a better time to actually purchase a 3 or 4 year old 43' diesel pusher IMHO.

Good luck.

Welcome! I would agree with about everything Bill said. As far as buying used or new, right now all bets are off. There is somewhat of a shortage on new larger diesel coaches coming out of the factories and used coach prices have risen. About 2023 could be a better time to actually purchase a 3 or 4 year old 43' diesel pusher IMHO.

Good luck.
Hi Joe - Thanks for chiming in! We aren't in a huge rush so waiting until 2023 wouldn't be a huge deal. Appreciate the input.

Latest resources

Back