Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

M88

RVF Newbee
Hello! I’m wondering if the circuitry in a 2015 keystone cougar allows for lights and breaks to work while towing with the trailer battery bank disconnected.

The reason I want to know is because I just got lithium iron phosphate batteries for it with a new converter to match the correct charging voltage, but just found out that it might fry my alternator when tow charging with my truck. I have an SUV and am not sure how to connect a dc to dc charger to my system without putting a hole in my trailer. Not into that idea if at all possible to avoid, any advice would be great. Thanks!

Hello! I’m wondering if the circuitry in a 2015 keystone cougar allows for lights and breaks to work while towing with the trailer battery bank disconnected.

The reason I want to know is because I just got lithium iron phosphate batteries for it with a new converter to match the correct charging voltage, but just found out that it might fry my alternator when tow charging with my truck. I have an SUV and am not sure how to connect a dc to dc charger to my system without putting a hole in my trailer. Not into that idea if at all possible to avoid, any advice would be great. Thanks!

Well, if you disconnect your 12 volt batteries on the trailer, your break away device will not work. That is illegal.

I think the easy solution is just go under the hood of your truck and pull the fuse for the charge line to your trailer. Problem solved. All the lights on your trailer will still work, just your battery won’t be charged, which is what you want anyway. Fuse should be easy to find. It’s usually a 25 amp fuse. Should be on the legend of your fuse cover.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back