RV Year
RV Make
Keystone
RV Model
Montana Mountaineer
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
Is there a rule to follow as to the trucks tow rating compared to the 5th wheel I want to pull so I do not stress the truck too much on long driving days or mountain driving?

Hi @John Diesburg , engineers rate things (all things) and list max ratings. They expect that one will run those things at 80% of those ratings over extended time lines. any time you run at more than 80% you shorten that things life. Its good that you consider this in choosing vehicles, I commend you.

So I imagine that if my truck is rated for 12200 lb that I should stay below 9760 lb with everything loaded including my weight then . Is that right? or is it 80% dry weight? And I have a payload capacity of 3600lb . Thanks again. John

Payload is truck gvw and trailer and truck is gcvw. and yes you are on track. You should work with two numbers. When loading trailer you do not include un-sprung weight.(axle, wheels, and tires). But the truck has to haul those things, so are considered in the gcvw.

Trucks are rate by the manufactures to pull TT and 5th wheels with minimum tongue/pin weights. Real quick a TT is rated at 10% or 1000 pounds for 10,000 pound TT but they can as much 15% and that would be 1500 pound tongue weight. Now a 5er rated with 15% pin weight so 10,000 5er would have a pin weight of 1500 pounds but I have never seen a 5er with a 15% pin most 5ers are closer to 23 to 25% depending on the floor plan. That same 10,000 5er would weigh around 2300 to 2500 pin weight.

Check out this site: TowingPlanner - towing capability calculators

Latest resources

Back