RV Model
STT343VIK
RV Length
37'8"
TOW/TOAD
2021 Tundra for now
Fulltimer
Yes
I recently purchased a new travel trailer to live in full time. I ended up purchasing a TT based on the tow capacity of my 2021 Crewmax Tundra. I did not realize I would possibly be overloaded. The dealer only recommended a stabilizer hitch since my Tundra came with a break controller(this is 100% on me for not doing the right research). The Tundra did amazing during my two hour drive home from the dealer. No sway while crossing a few longer bridges here in ENC. Also had no issues with braking. The gain was set at 3.0 for the whole trip. While spending time looking for first time RVer tips, I came across lots of threads about the current subject and determined I likely need to trade my truck now. So my question becomes, am I really unsafe when on the road with my current set up? If so, the question becomes, how much truck do I need? I will be pulling it to Florida next month, and then parking for a while. I have attached a screen shot of my TT's specs. Thank you for the help

Attachments​

• 20210126_163021000_iOS.jpg

From what I have looked at that trailer is too much for that truck. One site said a max tow rating of 8,000 pounds and one that said 8800 pounds. You are over that before you put anything in the trailer. Far as the dry weight argument, you will never tow it at that weight. That is the weight even before propane is added. Looking at the specs you posted gives you a trailer GVW of 10,985! even at 10% tongue weight that is 1098 pounds. What is the cargo carrying capacity of your truck? Take the number on the door sticker and subtract your weight and the weight of anyone else you plan on having in the truck, then subtract the weight of everything else you plan on taking with you. The number left is how much tongue weight you should look at. Most even say to stay at 80% of towing capacity for safety. Lastly, the dealer will almost always say "Sure this truck can handle that". Don't believe any of them.........

Thank you for the reply. I used an excel spreadsheet I found in a similar thread, and found while I am overloaded, it's not as bad as I had originally thought. With that said, I am currently cross shopping all the 2500's and the F250. The plan is to run each truck through the same excel calculator before buying one. I am leaning towards a Chevy/GMC Duramax, but for some reason the price of a Ram with the diesel won't let me rule it out. My only hang up is the V6 turbo. I worry about a turbo failing and being left on the side of the road. Is the duramax worth that much more money?

Can you buy a diesel without a turbo? I'm looking at the dry hitch weight (1/2 ton just in hitch weight). 1/4 ton in people and luggage isn't much. Gross trailer weight puts you in a diesel. Brand is preference I prefer RAM.

Kevin,

Since I have always been a Toyota guy(Toyota dealer GSM and does not offer bigger than Tundra), I have never researched another brand. At the moment I do not think the Ram offers a diesel bigger than the turbo v6. On paper it will tow my TT, but how reliable is the turbo? If I decide to upgrade my TT in a few years to a 5th wheel, will the V6 turbo force me to purchase another truck? I enjoy selling cars, but I despise buying them. Since I am in the car business, I am trying to do most of my research before reaching out to the dealer. Not only do I not want to waste a salespersons time if I go with a different brand or dealer, I don't trust the dealer to properly train their staff in product knowledge. Especially with a vehicle model they likely only sell a few times a month.

As a Ram guy, do you know if I can get a V8 diesel in a 2500?

Your chances of a turbo failing and leaving you on the side of the road are just about zero. Many, many vehicles are running turbos, including semi trucks. Far as a ram with a diesel, you are looking at an inline six cylinder engine. The inline six is the Cummins 6.7L. The biggest killer of turbos is lack of allowing it to cool before shut down.

Kevin,

Since I have always been a Toyota guy(Toyota dealer GSM and does not offer bigger than Tundra), I have never researched another brand. At the moment I do not think the Ram offers a diesel bigger than the turbo v6. On paper it will tow my TT, but how reliable is the turbo? If I decide to upgrade my TT in a few years to a 5th wheel, will the V6 turbo force me to purchase another truck? I enjoy selling cars, but I despise buying them. Since I am in the car business, I am trying to do most of my research before reaching out to the dealer. Not only do I not want to waste a salespersons time if I go with a different brand or dealer, I don't trust the dealer to properly train their staff in product knowledge. Especially with a vehicle model they likely only sell a few times a month.

As a Ram guy, do you know if I can get a V8 diesel in a 2500?
@"EZ" is the official RAM guy. The Cummins 6 is inline 6. Without a turbo on a diesel you have a gutless wonder in any brand. Cummins has a very good history.

I am so glad I found this forum. I have asked this question on a few other sites and FB group chats. You guys are the first ones to give an honest opinion instead of ranting about how dumb it was to think a Tundra can handle it. I very likely would have ruled out the Ram before digging into to it just because of the v6 turbo vs the v8 turbo. All the usual research sites like Edmunds, Cars, and Consumer Reports all rave about the Duramax vs the Cummins.

Last edited:
Regular oil changes with the correct turbo oil. Turbos these day are reliable. Turbo killer is blipping the foot feed and shutting down the engine. Turbo is spinning with no oil pressure

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back