Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Odetymes

RVF Regular
I have a 2019 Honda CRV with front wheel drive, automatic trans. I can't seem to find a firm answer regarding the towabilitiy of this vehicle. I had it suggested that I get a two wheel front dolly for the towing, put the car in netural, ignition off and that will work. Again, can't find anything concrete. Is anyone towing tis year and model and if so, how are you doing it? I have a 2019 Ventana model 3407.

Thanks

Concrete answer is; it is NOT flat towable. I am a Honda dealer and can 100% assure you, that you will destroy the transmission if you do. You can use a tow dolly on a a 2 wheel drive with the front wheels being on the dolly.

If you want to tow a CRV 4 down, it has to be a 2014 or older. Starting 2015, Honda changed the transmission and they are not towable.

You have received accurate information from the previous posters. We have a 2014 Honda CR-V and can assure you it is the last flat-towable CR-V produced by Honda. And, it has been a great ”toad.”

TJ

Where did the information come from that states transmission should be in neutral? Only front-wheel drive CRV's can be dolly towed, if you place the transmission in park, then you're depending only on the hold-down straps to keep it on the dolly.

My understanding is that if you leave it in park the constant jostling back & forth will damage the park cog gear. I dolly tow a Town & Country & it has a hidden button to be able to put the gear selector in neutral without the ignition switch being on.

Is there a section in your owners manual for recreational towing or dinghy towing? I would start there. If it is not clear in the manual, I would reach out in writing to Honda customer service and get an answer in writing from them. Doing anything outside manufactures allowed procedures will impact warrantee claims should issues develop in the future. Towing related, or not.

My understanding is that if you leave it in park the constant jostling back & forth will damage the park cog gear. I dolly tow a Town & Country & it has a hidden button to be able to put the gear selector in neutral without the ignition switch being on.
Just for grins, I read thru several different manufacturers' manuals on dolly towing, all stated to place the automatic transmission in Park and the emergency brake off. I towed a Toyota Avalon almost 30,000 miles and always had it in park when it was on the dolly. Good thing too, I had a strap break one time and I'm not sure the other straps would have held if the transmission had been in neutral.

Concrete answer is; it is NOT flat towable. I am a Honda dealer and can 100% assure you, that you will destroy the transmission if you do. You can use a tow dolly on a a 2 wheel drive with the front wheels being on the dolly.
Thanks very much for the reply and it was want I was afraid of. Looks like another car in store for us. Jeep as usual seems to be the best.

Don't forget chevrolet pickups. The entire lineup has a trim that is flat towable.
Look for models with 4LO options that are not AWD. Those models will have a section in the manual that describes flat towing. Some years have electric steer boxes that require a disconnect of the battery.

Latest resources

Back