Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

VigilM

RVF Newbee
My question is; is the braking unit for the Jeep a must; or does it depend on how far you plan to travel and the hills you may encounter?

It’s a must...in many states, it’s the law...

1591815639802.png

I am not affiliated with the source of this data, nor can I or will I vouch for it's validity.

Last edited:
When we had our first motorhome, class C, I towed our light old Jeep. I did not use a braking system. Seemed to do just fine braking. But, not having a braking system was always on my mind every second of each trip. I always left myself lots of extra space between the vehicle in front of me. I still do that today with a braking system. Just a good practice.
I eventually bought a car trailer to haul it on with brakes, and breakaway system. Such a calmer peaceful drive from that day forward. I am flat towing again using an RVi3 brake system. The difference in braking when you really need it is definitely noticeable. I will not tow without one again.

And, one of the primary reasons for having a braking system with break-away switch is to keep from injuring or killing someone else if the towed vehicle ever comes loose! It is simply not safe...for anyone...to tow without a braking system.

TJ

Thank you all for the info. This is very helpful. Appreciate you!
Looks like you are new to our RVF family and I am remiss in not extending a hearty "welcome." Glad to have you here with us. Stay in touch and let us know if we can help in some way.

TJ

I use the brake buddy. Bought it in 2008 and it works great. I have several toads, and didnt want to install a system in each one.

The breakaway installation is very simple on a jeep, and the brake buddy sets up in 30 seconds.

I got a quote from a local RV Dealership for the entire setup for towing my Jeep and it was around $5,000. Do you all have any recommendations for purchasing these items and installing myself? They get you on the Labor Charge.

Latest resources

Back