Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Wr Sahara
Fulltimer
No
What is the proper sequence for towing a jeep wrangler (Sahara) in terms of preparing the transmission? Just got the Air Force one installed yesterday and this is our very first tow.

We pull a 2012 Wrangler Sahara JK. Super simple to tow. With engine running and transmission in neutral:
1. Transfer case to neutral
2. Transmission moved between drive and reverse to double check that transfer case is in neutral and then transmission moved to neutral.
3. Engine off
4. Transmission in park
5. ignition turned off and key removed
6. Check that emergency brake is off

A trick I learned when putting the transfer case back into gear as it quite often does not want to go back in;

Put transmission in neutral and start the engine. Now, shut off the engine and very quickly, before the engine totally shuts down, pop the transfer case back into gear. You might get a tiny bit of gear grind but it usually slips right into gear without a fight. Otherwise it can be a real struggle to get it back in.

Do you turn the engine off before transmission in park or after? Or does it matter? You have been so helpful and I really appreciate it.

Do you turn the engine off before transmission in park or after? Or does it matter? You have been so helpful and I really appreciate it.
3. Engine off
4. Transmission in park
Probably doesn’t matter

To be sure you're doing the proper things and in sequence I would check the owners manual. My Gladiator has it one way and my JL has it another way. Just better make sure you doing the right thing.

By any chance do you put a lock on your hitch? If so what id you choses.

The owner’s manual has a detailed process. There may be differences between different models.

We have a 2016 JKU w/auto transmission.

I start the vehicle, shift to Neutral, and turn car OFF.

Next, using transfer case shifter...shift transfer case to neutral.

Start car...place transmission in Drive...ensure the transfer case is not engaged (vehicle should not move)...repeat in Reverse (vehicle should not move)...return to neutral, shut car off..,then shift to park, and you can then remove the key. Before leaving..,check parking brake handle down.

I may have missed some nuance...

Might need to press brake to allow shifting...

If you shift the transfer case with engine running..,the gears may clash...

The key won’t come out until the shifter is back in Park...

I tried to upload a photo...but it must be too large a file

Last edited:
All depends on the Trans. My 1500 RAM will flat haul. Transfer case is electric shift and the trans is 8 speed ZF trans. The manual covers all models so is not to much help. But there is hope. I bring up my truck because the same manufacturer is involved, the year and trans may be different. Because of a recall the ZF was reprogrammed so you can't open the door with it in gear without a forced P setting. This is good because your trans should be in park when towed. When the transfer case is in N there is no problem with grinding of gears when you shut off the engine the trans will go into park so you shut off the engine after the transfer case is in neutral and all is set. Before my model there was a cable that my rig does not have you would need to move to flat haul but mine does not have it as described in the manual. Because of the differences between models I would play with it until secure that your transfer case will stay in neutral.

Latest resources

Back