Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Mrohring

RVF Newbee
We just purchased a 2021 Acadia with the tow package, weight distribution hitch and sway bars. It can tow up to 4000 pounds. We want to pull a 22ft camper that weighs 3324 lbs. (dry weight). Has anyone towed a camper with the 2021 Acadia and how did it handle? Just want to make sure we’re safe.

What is the payload capacity and hitch weight maximum also?

I believe you will need a bigger tow vehicle. You never go by the unloaded dry weight as that is not realistic. You should use the gross trailer weight. As already mentioned, you need to check your vehicles payload and tongue weight on the trailer for starters.

We’re taking our 2018 Acadia Denali on its first camping trip this Friday. It’s identical to yours, 3.6 V6, V92 tow package and 4000 lb rating. Our trailer is 3100 dry. I’ll update this thread. Using a Curt Echo - though there are blunt cut wires by the gas pedal, right behind the plastic panel if you want to wire a brake controller.
From all the measurements I’ve done we should be safe on payload, GCWR, GVWR. I’m going to tow it with empty water tank for extra margin.

This exact same engine and transmission are rated for 5000 lbs on the Traverse and Enclave, which are slightly longer versions of the Acadia chassis. I feel confident the drivetrain is more than capable of handling 4000 lbs. it’s the chassis that is a question.

I’m planning on using a WDH.

We just purchased a 2021 Acadia with the tow package, weight distribution hitch and sway bars. It can tow up to 4000 pounds. We want to pull a 22ft camper that weighs 3324 lbs. (dry weight). Has anyone towed a camper with the 2021 Acadia and how did it handle? Just want to make sure we’re safe.
We’ll be going down the same road in about 6 months so we’ll be following the thread. We’ll be getting a different SUV and the trailer will be around 2820 dry but I’m sure we’ll learn a few things from you.

Cheers and be safe.

Latest resources

Back