Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Towing travel trailer with 8' truck bed vs. 6' truck bed.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

tjayne

RVF Regular
Hello and thanks in advance for your wisdom! I'm planning to buy a travel trailer about 32' long and 6-9K lb. Haven't selected one yet. Also, planning to buy a used 3/4 ton truck to pull with. Would rather have the extra stability on the road. How much does it matter if the truck has an 8' vs. 6' bed? I have read the 8' can provide more stability, but it is very hard to find a truck with an 8' bed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have been told to find a truck with a limited slip rear differential, so I'm also looking for that.

I've Towed many years with the 6.5' bed. I upgraded to a 2500 with 8' bed and prefer it for stability. I also have the bed so full of stuff that a 6.5 will no longer work. Because of the longer wheel base the empty ride is much better. I would also recommend 4X4. It is important for backing into steep places and navigating back roads all due to the low range gearing. Just used mine a couple of hours ago.

The 8' bed will be more stable because of the longer wheelbase, not because of the longer bed itself. So a crew cab with a 6' bed will be more stable than a regular cab with an 8' bed, for example.

The other thing to consider is that you don't really have good access to the bed when your trailer is hitched up other than for light stuff you can lift over the side (assuming you don't have a canopy). So you may or may not be able to use the extra bed space when you're towing you trailer anyway.

The other thing to consider is parking while you use the pu (while not towing). If you have a crew cab you have much the same wb and a rig for friends to load into when you head for the local attractions. But still there is that parking thing.

The 8' bed will be more stable because of the longer wheelbase, not because of the longer bed itself. So a crew cab with a 6' bed will be more stable than a regular cab with an 8' bed, for example.

The other thing to consider is that you don't really have good access to the bed when your trailer is hitched up other than for light stuff you can lift over the side (assuming you don't have a canopy). So you may or may not be able to use the extra bed space when you're towing you trailer anyway.
I have great access when hooked up to the trailer. I drop the tailgate and use my oms (old man step) and load/unload from the back. I don't allow loading from the side as it tends to scratch the paint. Now if you are new to trailering you may want the 6.5 for easier menuvering.

The other thing to consider is parking while you use the pu (while not towing). If you have a crew cab you have much the same wb and a rig for friends to load into when you head for the local attractions. But still there is that parking thing.
This is true. One thing I did to adjust for this was not to pull into a parking spot, but back into it. Putting the steering in the back makes a big difference. I use to own a F350 4 door long bed dully.

This is true. One thing I did to adjust for this was not to pull into a parking spot, but back into it. Putting the steering in the back makes a big difference. I use to own a F350 4 door long bed dully.
Then there is the stick your nose out into traffic thing that makes the back in thing work better as well.

Backing in always works better with a backup camera!

Latest resources

Back