Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

iamalienru

RVF Regular
I am traveling from Las Vegas to the Oregon coast in my 1998 American eagle. All was fine pulled over for a stop when I started back up my trans wouldn't go into drive or reverse. There are no fault codes on the trans key board. I did notice that my idle rpm is 1k most likely not allowing the trans to shift. Does any have any idea why the idle would jump from 700 to 1000. I appreciate any information you might have

If you have an OBD2 code reader, you might be able to see the fault codes. Though I'm not sure a 1998 vehicle such as yours had to be OBD2 compliant back then.

How's the fluid level on the dipstick?

Rick

Fluid is good tran temp never rose. Don't have a code reader. I guess I will have to have it towed back to Reno nv as nobody here in Susanville work on them 100 mile tow good thing I have the right insurance. Going backwards the next town north of here is about 300 miles to find someone who deals with this. Thank you all for your input.

How many miles on the transmission? Ever been rebuilt? Do you tow a lot? Fluid and filter changed as required by the owners manual?

Rick

Pretty sure it's not the trans it is doing what it is suppose to do. Low mileage on trans fluid good by low mileage under 100k . I do tow my Chevy Colorado when I travel. Trans temp always good.

Im a little curious. First, what transmission does it have? Allison 3000 series? Probably MD3060. It may not be the fluid but are you saying the fluid has nearly 100k miles on it? Using TES 295 spec fluid gives you the high maintenance intervals, otherwise its 25k miles and one year. Even with TES 295 and Allisons published 300k interval its also states 48 months.

Last edited:
The trans has been serviced. I keep the coach pretty well maintained. I know that 1k rpm is to high to allow the trans to shift. Looking at it further I am pretty sure I am missing a spring to the linkage as the are suppose to be 2 an I only 1 that is rusted. Now that it's Monday and places are open I should be able to get the spring and find out if in fact this is the problem. Everyones help has been a life saver pictures and thoughts invaluable. I will update today as I go through this process

yes the 1000 RPM issue is interesting. Did you have it towed anywhere yet?

Yes is has been towed to susanville ca but nobody work on them here so they are towing it to Reno nv this morning to a shop. Good thing the insurance covers it

My recommendation in the Reno area would be Velocity Truck Center in Sparks.

Latest resources

Back