Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

tom borillo

RVF Newbee
hello all, I have owned a 35' gas and 40' diesel class A and am familiar with them and expected gas mileage. I am looking at 22-24 ft travel trailers in the 4500-5000 lb dry weight range and am pulling it with a 2018 cadillac escalade with the big 6.2L engine. In testing it out I average 28 at 65mph and 25 at 70mph. What should I expect to average pulling a trailer of say 5000 pounds. I have no idea but it will really help me to know ahead of time. Thank you.

Most of the MPG Tricks go out the window pulling a trailer. I would be happy with 13mpg.

10 mpg is pretty typical for towing a travel trailer with a gasoline engine.

I would be thrilled with 13 mpg empty...lol. There are so many variables to consider. Slope, with or against. Wind, with or against. How fast you drive. And gearing in your differentials. Quality of fuel.
I once pulled a 14 ft. enclosed cargo trailer loaded to the max from Maine to Tennessee, I got 10mpg. When I returned completely empty I expected better mileage. I got 10 mpg. I found that the front of the trailer acted like a 4x8 piece of plywood standing up there or a parachute. Come off over a crest and expect to coast and have to get back in the gas......real life learning experience.

We get about 320 watt hours per kilometre with our tesla. 😂.

Oh sorry. We got about 11 US miles to the gallon when we pulled with our grand Cherokee but it was a smaller trailer as well.

I would be thrilled with 13 mpg empty...lol. There are so many variables to consider. Slope, with or against. Wind, with or against. How fast you drive. And gearing in your differentials. Quality of fuel.
I once pulled a 14 ft. enclosed cargo trailer loaded to the max from Maine to Tennessee, I got 10mpg. When I returned completely empty I expected better mileage. I got 10 mpg. I found that the front of the trailer acted like a 4x8 piece of plywood standing up there or a parachute. Come off over a crest and expect to coast and have to get back in the gas......real life learning experience.
My truck with 5.7 gets 20 mpg normally, pulling the trailer 13. I should add or said trailer, because all trailers I have pulled produce the same result.

thanks, i figured at 28 mph usually at 65 mph with that big 6.2 escalade engine I was thinking 15+. Good wake up call, might change my buying desision. would love to hear from someone with a gm tahoe or chevy suburban with the same engine and the same rear differential and how much weight they are towing. You all have a nice day and thanks again

Latest resources

Back