Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Travel Trailer Recommendations for a newbie????

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Shippychippy

RVF Newbee
I'm currently in the process of purchasing our first travel trailer since I'm getting ready to retire and I have a F150 Lariat with the HVY duty tow package which is rated to 10,000 lbs. We are looking at the 2021 Forest River Hyper Lyte 26BHHL which dry weight is 6680. Does anyone have any experience with these models or manufacturer? We really like the floor plan and are trying to stay in the budget of 25,000-28,000.. Please give me your thoughts and recommendations... I've read the reviews on almost all manufacturers and they all seam to have some sort of issues here and there.. Any advise would truly be appreciated.. Thanks

I realize that this is not what you are asking but that is an awful lot of trailer for an F150. Almost 34 ft. long with a GVW of just under 10,000 lbs. You should never base your purchase on the dry weight of a trailer. The only time it may be empty is when you pull it home. Also, with the Lariet model you may not have enough payload to use. Check the yellow sticker on the door pillar tha reads" All cargo and passengers not to exceed xxxx lbs" then get back to us with that number and the year of your truck. We can then give you a better idea of what would be suitable in your circumstance.

Quite a few people suggest not going over 80% of your towing capability to insure a safe and comfortble ride. For every pound you add to the truck you deduct from tow capacity.

Here is what the door label says... The trucks tow capacity is 10,000 and we'll never tow with the tanks loaded and it'll be just my wife and myself.. The dry weight of the camper is 6688

Attachments

• Door Label GVWR.jpg
    Door Label GVWR.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Wrong sticker. The one we need to see is yellow and it gives you the tire information and the payload capacity of your unique truck. This will help determine how much weight your truck can carry. This will include you, wife kids, dog. weight distribution hitch and any other items you put into the truck.

Here you go.. Sorry.. I called the Ford dealer and I gave them the specs of the camper (6680 dry weight) and they say it wouldn't be a problem at all at . If it was the 2.7 could be an issue but not the Lariat with the 3.5 Twin Turbo Ecobust with the 10 speed transmission and tow package of 11,100 to12,200.. Just wanting to make sure though..

Attachments

• Dooe Label 2.jpg
    Dooe Label 2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 27
  • Door Label.jpg
    Door Label.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
As I said above, never base what you can tow on the dry weight of the trailer. I found out the hard way about that. Use the GVWR of the triler for you figures.

That being said, with the gvw of 9600 lbs., you should have a tongue weight of 1248 lbs. This will leave you with about 315 lbs. for everything you put into or on the truck. Also, being aluminum that truck will be effected by the trailer very easily. Again something I found out the hard way. If it were me I would be looking at a trailerno more than 28 feet with a gvw of no more that 7500 lbs.. That may also be very close to the amx ratings.

Another thing that is often overlooked is the rating of the hitch on the truck. With a tow rating of 10,000 lbs. you hitch is probably oly rated for 1000 lbs. of tongue weight. This can also be checked with a sticker located on the hitch itself.

Not trying to rin on your parade but I would seriously look at either a smaller trailer of a bigger truck. I realize that a bigger truck is probably not an option. As far as the dealer saying "no problem' they are in business to sell trucks, sell beiong the operative word.

I'm currently in the process of purchasing our first travel trailer since I'm getting ready to retire and I have a F150 Lariat with the HVY duty tow package which is rated to 10,000 lbs. We are looking at the 2021 Forest River Hyper Lyte 26BHHL which dry weight is 6680. Does anyone have any experience with these models or manufacturer? We really like the floor plan and are trying to stay in the budget of 25,000-28,000.. Please give me your thoughts and recommendations... I've read the reviews on almost all manufacturers and they all seam to have some sort of issues here and there.. Any advise would truly be appreciated.. Thanks
I’m very familiar with Forest River, we have a Rockwood Mini-Lite. You are choosing a Toy hauler. By doing so you make sacrifices in the “convertible” space. Plus with the back ramp you give up a window and interior light. My question is are you really going to haul toys and how often? Most destinations today you can easily rent ATVs, snowmobile’s, etc. I would just give a lot of thought into how much you are going to haul toys versus having real living space.

Latest resources

Back