Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Thanks to @ARD who is assigned as my travel oversight advisor by the bureau of RV travel after repeated poor trip planning she advised me of the tunnel on US-101 north of Florence and how the Garmin is going to blow up about this tunnel. As I left my fuel stop in Eugene, OR to save using TSD fuel savings program at the T/A Petro there Garmin routed me north, over west, then down US-101 taking 2-1/2 hours for what I thought was supposed to be a short trip. It was obvious Garmin was not going to navigate me through "that tunnel". I routed direct Florence to see what the route and time was, then routed to the Campground (Carl Washburne State Park) and yep, it would not take me through Florence. I picked up the red phone to reach out to my designated counselor, @ARD, who reaffirmed that the tunnel is okay, ignore and proceed. So I routed to Florence via Garmin with a backup of Waze (against said advisor's advice but instead to use Google Maps) and off I went.

So yes, the tunnel is huge, nothing to worry about but I guess Garmin has a legal issue in that the far right edge of the lane which you probably wouldn't be driving on is 11'6 but inches to the left of that it's 14'6. I just want to document this here on RVF for others that may travel this path in the future and want to "see" the tunnel.

IMG_2754.png
IMG_2755.png
IMG_2756.png

Did you just take it down the center line ?
Yes, that's how I do with any tunnels/arches, etc. Be sure to test your air horn within otherwise you may have grown up :)

Hmmmm. We’ve passed through that tunnel many times and can’t remember getting a warning from the GPS. I have noticed the signs on the sides saying 11’6” but the coach doesn’t get near that area even staying within the lane, at least not seriously near.

? That is (honking in a tunnel) something that just seems to be innate. Oh, and fun. Our tunnel on northbound 101 near Gaviota is one we travel through often and it gets a honk every time. No airhorn however...that would even scare me!

1620409009060.png

Hmmmm. We’ve passed through that tunnel many times and can’t remember getting a warning from the GPS. I have noticed the signs on the sides saying 11’6” but the coach doesn’t get near that area even staying within the lane, at least not seriously near.

Here is a photo I found elsewhere. I just hug the center line and all is well.
F22FA65A-8C6D-4F65-ADC2-F60604D459F8.jpeg

My GPS went nuts blinking red and I had to ACCEPT that I was going to crash by taking that route. ? I stay in my lane too, but I do keep left and straddle the center line, especially after I saw this photo.?

Looks like 10' or less lanes...

My GPS went nuts blinking red and I had to ACCEPT that I was going to crash by taking that route. ? I stay in my lane too, but I do keep left and straddle the center line, especially after I saw this photo.?
That does look a bit scary doesn’t it. I will definitely check my GPS next time through. Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back