RV Model
Allegro Open Road 36 LA
RV Length
37'
TOW/TOAD
2021 Chevy Colorado LT 4x4
Fulltimer
Yes
I purchased a book that has the laws of every state in regards to traveling and transporting firearms in your vehicle. It pretty much appears that any state in the Northeast from DC north is a no go. That said, just wondering what other folks do when traveling with firearms, in a motorhome specifically. I am sure keeping them stored in the basement is #1 but, do you have them in locked hard cases? Soft cases? If you are going to be somewhere for several months do you put them in storage? I am not a hunter nor feel the need to have firearms for self defense but I do have a few .22's that I like to target shoot with. Just looking to stay safe and within the law. Thanks for your input.

*Note: I realize some may not want to respond to this in a public forum for privacy reasons. If that's the case but you want to offer any advice, request my e-mail address and we can chat offline.

VT, NH, and ME are not problem, MA, RI, and CT honor FOPA, NY is the only one that gives you a problem, but then, when was the last time you saw an RV pulled over and searched by the police. Follow FOPA, you are fine. This is only for transporting, btw. Carrying, or possession, are another matter entirely. You can stay just fine in VT, NH, and ME, but best to pass through the other states. Look up FOPA guidelines for travel through states, look up individual state laws if you are intending on staying in a particular state. Firearms locked separately from ammunition, etc. Locked hard cases are always best. FYI, MA is one of the few states to require a state LTC or FID for possession EVEN IN YOUR HOME (RV too). And they do not honor any other state's LTC either.

I carry my fire arms with me everywhere. I could care less about States that don't want me to. I'll face the music if it comes down to it but I'll be protected in the mean time. No one will know that I have one with me. I don't take it out and wave it around. However, if attacked or robbed it will be a bad day for the criminal.

As a retired police officer I am exempt to state firearms laws under HR218 LEOSA, however I believe that as long as your are just "passing through" (PEACEFUL JOURNEY) a state you are allowed to have firearms in your possession. If you stop for the night or hang around it might be a different story.https://www.gunlaws101.com/article/view/peaceable-journey-law

As a retired police officer I am exempt to state firearms laws under HR218 LEOSA, however I believe that as long as your are just "passing through" (PEACEFUL JOURNEY) a state you are allowed to have firearms in your possession. If you stop for the night or hang around it might be a different story.https://www.gunlaws101.com/article/view/peaceable-journey-law
And the Firearms Owners Protection Act (FOPA) protects interstate travel with a firearm. The only issue is a very few states, NY and NJ come to mind, that allow FOPA as a defense in court, but may still have an issue on the side of the road, though it's rare. But follow the federal guidelines in FOPA and there really shouldn't be a problem.

HOWEVER, FOPA and Peaceful Journey laws do NOT protect so called hi capacity magazines. States, especially NY and MA have magazine limits and they don't care if they're unloaded locked in a safe. If you were really worried you could disassemble them and store the parts in different places. But then, I've never seen an RV on the side of the road being searched, except at the Canada border.

Basically, until you hit VT, NH, or ME, just keep your guns to yourself and you probably won't have any issues.

-Former police officer, MA and NRA certified firearms instructor.

Great to see some retied LEOs respond to this thread. I also am a retired LEO (34 years).

Let me answer the question from more of a constitutional law view point. A motorhome is a "home on wheels". Now when you are traveling down the highway it is subject to motor vehicle laws. If you are stopped for speeding let's say and for some reason the officer has a reason to search the "vehicle". If you have a loaded handgun in a galley drawer, or bedroom nightstand, my opinion would be it would be legal in most states. Now if you are camped and an officer wants to search your motorhome then he/she better have a court issued search warrant because now your motorhome is the exact same as your sticknbrick.

In other words, if you don't have a loaded gun right next to you while driving through different states then I certainly would not worry about it. You have to ask yourself first of all "why would a police officer physically come inside my RV and search it, what would his/her probable cause be?" Secondly, even if they did search it while you were on the highway traveling and found a loaded firearm 20' away from the front passenger area what State Statute would that violate? Heck, I'm originally from Illinois, which has about the strictest firearms laws in the nation, and finding a loaded firearm in the bedroom of an RV while it was underway would not be illegal.

All the above is just my opinion and I have been retired for 10 years so take it with a grain of salt. I'm like the other retired LEOs and can conceal carry in or out of a vehicle nationwide.

Great to see some retied LEOs respond to this thread. I also am a retired LEO (34 years).

Let me answer the question from more of a constitutional law view point. A motorhome is a "home on wheels". Now when you are traveling down the highway it is subject to motor vehicle laws. If you are stopped for speeding let's say and for some reason the officer has a reason to search the "vehicle". If you have a loaded handgun in a galley drawer, or bedroom nightstand, my opinion would be it would be legal in most states. Now if you are camped and an officer wants to search your motorhome then he/she better have a court issued search warrant because now your motorhome is the exact same as your sticknbrick.

In other words, if you don't have a loaded gun right next to you while driving through different states then I certainly would not worry about it. You have to ask yourself first of all "why would a police officer physically come inside my RV and search it, what would his/her probable cause be?" Secondly, even if they did search it while you were on the highway traveling and found a loaded firearm 20' away from the front passenger area what State Statute would that violate? Heck, I'm originally from Illinois, which has about the strictest firearms laws in the nation, and finding a loaded firearm in the bedroom of an RV while it was underway would not be illegal.

All the above is just my opinion and I have been retired for 10 years so take it with a grain of salt. I'm like the other retired LEOs and can conceal carry in or out of a vehicle nationwide.
Good points, the only areas that would be an issue are 1.) States that have storage laws, i.e. must be in a safe, or something like that. 2.) States where even possession in the home requires a valid state license, like Massachusetts. You can't own or possess a firearm in MA, not even in your own home locked in a safe, unless you have a valid state LTC or FID, either resident or non-resident. But your best point, "why would a police officer physically come inside my RV and search it", that's the goal. Don't give anyone cause to do that, shouldn't be a problem. But also, don't vacation here in MA, it isn't worth it anyways. They will just misuse any money you spend in the state. Vermont's prettier, NH is cheaper, ME is nearly empty.

Good points, the only areas that would be an issue are 1.) States that have storage laws, i.e. must be in a safe, or something like that. 2.) States where even possession in the home requires a valid state license, like Massachusetts. You can't own or possess a firearm in MA, not even in your own home locked in a safe, unless you have a valid state LTC or FID, either resident or non-resident. But your best point, "why would a police officer physically come inside my RV and search it", that's the goal. Don't give anyone cause to do that, shouldn't be a problem. But also, don't vacation here in MA, it isn't worth it anyways. They will just misuse any money you spend in the state. Vermont's prettier, NH is cheaper, ME is nearly empty.
MA will probably some day experience the same thing Illinois is going through right now. Illinois has what they call the FOID card which allows you to own a firearm. A judge recently ruled it unconstitutional and I suspect Illinois will run it up to the Supreme Court, where I believe it will be stuck down.

We have been waiting to explore the eastern seaboard, when we finally do maybe we will skip Massachusetts.

Latest resources

Back