• Commercial/Vendors welcome

traveling with full water tank

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I always travel with a full tank unless I’m staying local. In those cases I put on some water just in case it’s needed prior to getting to the campground

is it advisable to travel with a full water tank? Can this damage the tank in any way?
We always travel with fresh water. The tanks are built for that. If you don't use it, its a good idea to replace once in a while. When we find good hock up water at a camp ground, we put some back in the tank. Some camp grounds have nasty water so we don't add from those. There is always a need for water when traveling.

A full tank of water in our trailer, 40 gals x 8.34 = 334 lbs, added to the trailer weight. If one is close to gross trailer weight, then here is one area to trim cargo weight.

We travel with a full water tank and empty black and gray. You never know what the next stop may bring.
X2. Wouldn’t travel any other way.

I try to carry as much good, safe, dependable water as possible and travel with as little waste tank volume as possible. That way Im ready for anything. Ive found I can go ten days without hook ups if I plan well and Im careful. Sometimes its a balancing act. But any decent RV should be able to travel with full tanks. Right now Im under 1/3 tank of fresh at a park with questionable water (neighbors said dont use it) and 36 hours to go. Poor planning - should have arrived with a full tank of good water but its a park with full hook-ups so I assumed......

Last edited:
We have a 105-gallon tank so that would be over 800 pounds so we only fill to 1/3 of the tank while traveling. If we are going to travel in high winds we may put more water in the tank since our freshwater tank is low in the coach. When we get to the campgrounds we fill the fresh water and try to have as much fuel in Class A as possible. That paid off last year in the RGV in Texas when the cold snap and we were without electricity and water for 10 days.

Latest resources

Back