RV Length
25 ft
Chassis
2000 Ford E350
Engine
V10
Fulltimer
No
Plugging into the shore power doesn't really seem to charge the battery? The battery was brand new last year. My question is on charging. The voltages below were measured under different conditions. The one constant was my Maxxair 4 speed vent fan was on high. The only conditions that charged the battery was the motorhome running or an external battery charger connected? The generator and shore power didn't raise the coach battery voltage above 12 volts? Only a large battery charger or the coach running seem to charge the battery? I can never get through a night on battery power? The battery lasts a few hours then dies. All lights off and refrigerator on automatic the coach is dead before morning?

2001 Coachmen Catalina Sport 239SO.JPG

I'd recommend getting a good battery monitor to see actual state of charge and how much current is being supplied/consumed. Personally, I use Victron SmartShunt, but any of their BMV models are very good. SmartShunt is simplest to install and use if you're comfortable using an app and bluetooth to see what's going on. Battery monitors - Victron Energy

Using a battery without a battery monitor is like driving a car without a fuel gauge and just guessing how much fuel you have. Voltage is not a reliable measure of state of charge and provides no indication of how much energy you are using or supplying to the battery

With a "just battery" of10.89 volts, likely the battery was discharged too far and is now a very heavy door stop. Take it to Auto Zone, Pep Boys, NAPA, or one of the auto parts stores and they can test it for you. And they can also sell you a new battery, which you will likely need.

Also, the 11.57 volts tell me that the converter is not charging the battery. It should be more like 13.6 volts and then taper to 13.1 volts for a float voltage.

The truck running is charging and the external battery charger is charging. This presumes the battery is good. But your description of lasting for a few hours and then being dead is the sign of a bad battery.

Bob

All good advice above and you don't mention the amp-hour capacity of your battery. You probably don't realize how much power you are consuming (volts x amps = watts or power consumed) with your fan and lighting etc. It is likely a lot for whatever size of battery you have.

I switched every lamp in the trailer to LED's and greatly lowered my power consumption.

Rick

I agree with LED lights. I switched all of the original incandescent light bulbs to direct plug-in LED's. What did I gain? With all 10 LED's on, they will consume about the same energy as ONE incandescent. Now THAT is energy saving which translates to longer battery usage.

In another area, I added an accumulator tank after the water pump. This reduces the cycling, provided smoother water flow, and reduces pump surging and related DC current demand. Another battery energy-saving measure.

Bob

Thank you all for these suggestions! Bob, I am interested in the accumulator tank (do you have model numbers, pictures or advice). I have already switched all bulbs to LED. I will remove the battery and take it for diagnostics and reinstall with a monitor. I really have no idea how much power the refrigerator uses. When in automatic, I think it defaults to battery? When the battery is dead, the propane option won't work. Most of the time the battery will not even start the generator. I have to start the truck to have enough power to start the generator. Thank goodness the coach battery charges from the truck!

The refrigerator needs 12v for the control system in order to use propane. A 2 way refrigerator uses 120vac when connected to shore power and propane when disconnected from shore power. A 3 way refrigerator has the ability to operate on 12vdc, but that should only be used while driving. If the engine isn’t running a refrigerator using 12vdc for cooling will drain the battery in a very short time.

Thank you all for these suggestions! Bob, I am interested in the accumulator tank (do you have model numbers, pictures or advice). I have already switched all bulbs to LED. I will remove the battery and take it for diagnostics and reinstall with a monitor. I really have no idea how much power the refrigerator uses. When in automatic, I think it defaults to battery? When the battery is dead, the propane option won't work. Most of the time the battery will not even start the generator. I have to start the truck to have enough power to start the generator. Thank goodness the coach battery charges from the truck!
If the refrigerator is an AC or LP unit, it will require 12 volts to operate the control panel and to ignite the LP burner. Normally, one sets it to AUTO mode and makes sure the LP tank is on and has gas. The refrigerator does the rest. If AC is available then it runs on AC. If not then it switches to LP.

If it is DC only then it likely has a compressor that runs off of 12V DC. There may be a control that automatically switches to AC and supplies DC to the refrigerator when available. If AC is not available, then it switches to the battery. Typically they pull 4 to 6 amps. Based on 50% run time, this will pull a 100 aH battery down in ~20 hrs. (~ rough math)

As to the accumulator: Shurflo 182-200 or SEAFLO SFAT-075-125-01. Both are available from Amazon for about $39.00 I don't recall which one I ordered. I seem to think it is the SEAFLO unit. Easy to install in the line on the output side of the pump.

Bob

If the refrigerator is an AC or LP unit, it will require 12 volts to operate the control panel and to ignite the LP burner. Normally, one sets it to AUTO mode and makes sure the LP tank is on and has gas. The refrigerator does the rest. If AC is available then it runs on AC. If not then it switches to LP.

If it is DC only then it likely has a compressor that runs off of 12V DC. There may be a control that automatically switches to AC and supplies DC to the refrigerator when available. If AC is not available, then it switches to the battery. Typically they pull 4 to 6 amps. Based on 50% run time, this will pull a 100 aH battery down in ~20 hrs. (~ rough math)

As to the accumulator: Shurflo 182-200 or SEAFLO SFAT-075-125-01. Both are available from Amazon for about $39.00 I don't recall which one I ordered. I seem to think it is the SEAFLO unit. Easy to install in the line on the output side of the pump.

Bob
I confirmed the model number. It has two modes AC or Gas. Good to know.

I confirmed the model number. It has two modes AC or Gas. Good to know.
If you use the AUTO mode, it will switch to AC when shore power is available. If shore power is not available it will switch to Gas. It does require that 12V DC is available, either from the onboard battery or the tow vehicle to power the control board and ignite the LP. That is a minimal amount of DC current required.

Bob

Latest resources

Back