Newmar
RV Model
London Aire 4551
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I was participating in a discussion regarding problems someone was having while at a campground. It was all the typical stuff we hear, such as:

* Lights left on at night
* Engines left running
* Radio too loud
* etc.

One of the complaints the person had was about people walking thru their campsite. That one stood out, as I recently was having that problem. It was a group of people that found my extra large campsite was a much easier path to walk thru than going around it.

I tried several tactics to discourage the behavior, including leaving obstacles in the path, but one in particular worked very well for the most part:

There was a gentleman that was using my campsite as a pathway multiple times per day. I finally decided to go out and talk to him. After a friendly exchange I started asking him questions about politics. Turns out we had common ground, and that wasn't going to continue, and I am not very good at faking a differing opinion, so I decided to fake crazy, because I am pretty good at doing that. Mid conversation I asked him did he feel the ground moving? (it wasn't), then I went inside, grabbed a broom, and hit the ground with it a few times. I continued my conversation with him, and every 15-20 seconds, I hit the ground again with the broom..moving around to different areas.

He never asked why I was doing that, and I never offered an explanation...but you should have seen his face...it was very funny. I had a hard time not laughing myself.

I could only wish I could hear him describe it, because it most definitely left an impression. He has not encroached on my site for a few days now.

Anyone else have an interesting way to solve some of these problems?

That is some righteous stuff right there. :LOL:

The only time I have people walking thru is when we are at the beach. There is a completely different demographic and mentality there from most other places we go. I just grin and bear it.

Guess I’m odd, I don’t walk through someone else’s site if I can avoid it, but couldn’t care less if someone walked through mine.

Mid conversation I asked him did he feel the ground moving? (it wasn't), then I went inside, grabbed a broom, and hit the ground with it a few times. I continued my conversation with him, and every 15-20 seconds, I hit the ground again with the broom..moving around to different areas.
You do that too!???

We screw an anchor in the ground and hook our Samoyed onto a long cable. You would be amazed how many folks think a Samoyed is a Chow. I guess Chow’s have enough of a bad reputation that most folks steer clear.

We did have a guest at Fort Wilderness back into his site and get out and leave his engine running. The sites angled toward one another...so the exhaust came billowing into our site. At about 15 to 20 minutes, my better half went over to ask if he could kindly stop the engine. He replied that there wasn‘t anything he would like more. When he stepped out...his cat managed to walk across the switch panel and locked him out. He was waiting for a locksmith to let him back in.

Guess I’m odd, I don’t walk through someone else’s site if I can avoid it, but couldn’t care less if someone walked through mine.

You will when they do it repeatedly. I typically don't care other than when I was at Palm Creek last winter and some group kept doing it. I didn't say anything but when you keep seeing people outside your window on the patio side it is annoying especially when your stuff is out there. It's just etiquette and/or respect.

once or twice a day--who cares...but this guy was doing it constantly and being really loud as he talked on a cell phone, and frankly it just got annoying. I keep a lot of my stuff out there, including chairs, tables, laptop, grill, etc. My awning was out, and he was walking under the awning between the coach and table, where I had electrical cords. A couple of times he moved my chair (unoccupied) out of the way because I had set it up to block his path.

This guy warranted the craziness I gave him...actually he warranted a good scolding, but I decided to have some fun instead.

I get that. Suppose I made some presumptions. As you describe it, I’d be of the same thought. Though my approach is different. I’d just sit out there in my chair with nothing but a Speedo on. In my experience, that’s been enough to keep anyone and everything away, except occasionally the police. I’ve been on COPS 7 times!

You will when they do it repeatedly. I typically don't care other than when I was at Palm Creek last winter and some group kept doing it. I didn't say anything but when you keep seeing people outside your window on the patio side it is annoying especially when your stuff is out there. It's just etiquette and/or respect.
I might. I might not. I’m not very paranoid about people stealing my stuff. Mostly because I usually don’t leave my stuff out. It’s just bikes and a couple of chairs, maybe the grill but even that is kind of rare to be left out unsupervised for me. That said, it depends how the trespasser does it. I can totally see frequency being an issue. The way OP describes it in detail in post #7 (which admittedly, I don’t think I clued in on from his first post though many others seemed to have experienced it and knew what he was talking about) I totally understand where he’s coming from. There’s a difference between walking across a site respectfully, clearly trying to keep your distance and trying to minimize the number of times it happens vs staking claim to someone else site by moving their chairs and walking under their awnings. Neither of those are cool.

If I ever needed to walk across someone’s site, I would always try to stay closer to the RV on their passenger side, taking the same path that owner would take if they were emptying their tanks. If they are outside, I would ask permission.

Latest resources

Back