Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

T&YvB

RVF Newbee
So completely new to RV’s and probably a very silly question. Was curious about the weight restrictions on trailer. So it looks like I have about 1500 lbs between dry weight and gross weight. Does this apply for when the trailer is parked etc? We have a bunkhouse that sleeps 8-10 but just adding up if we even had 4 people and water etc etc don’t see how we can fit that much. Or is it just for when you’re towing etc? Dry weight is 5500 and gross trailer of 7000lbs.

I believe it is primarily a towing issue. Obviously, the trailer suspension will only support a given amount of weight, but when parked, you can have the stabilizers down (or use after-market ones if you don't have them built in) to help support additional weight.

What you will want to watch is the rated capacity of the tow vehicle. If you are cramming a bunch of folks into it, you may well be overloaded for towing even if the trailer is not. You need to have a compatible package of tow vehicle and trailer that is properly rated for your intended use.

TJ

Last edited:
I believe it is primarily a towing issue. Obviously, the trailer suspension will only support a given amount of weight, but when prarked, you can have the stabilizers down (or use after-market ones if you don't have them built in) to help support additional weight.

What you will want to watch is the rated capacity of the tow vehicle. If you are cramming a bunch of folks into it, you may well be overloaded for towing even if the trailer is not. You need to have a compatible package of tow vehicle and trailer that is properly rated for your intended use.

TJ
Thanks for the response. I’m ok on the tow vehicle part. I assumed with the stabilizers and everything I would be fine. Just wasn’t understanding the weight ratings of trailer etc. and wanted to ask. Thanks again

IMHO, FWIW, If you are going to suspend the trailer stationary, with leveling jacks, the frame would most likely be the deciding factor on weight. If you will be using the suspension to support the trailer while parked then it would be a combination of frame, suspension and tires.
Interestingly my good friend with a 5th wheel bent both axles and the frame on his 5th wheel. The 5th wheel was used each winter to relocate to warmer weather from New England. He had to replace tires, axles and custom fab a frame while in the middle of his winter vacation. Not a fun time.
He was a professional farmer (owned and operated over 1K acres), he was very conscientious about weight restrictions to no avail. Luckily he found a shop in the south that did the work at a "reasonable" amount, still 10's of thousands of USD.
He was surprised to find that the frame was so flimsy for the stated GVWR..

Latest resources

Back