Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2022 GMC Canyon AT4
Fulltimer
No
Here is my story and I'm sticking to it.
Seven weeks ago we were driving south on Interstate 25 about 25 miles north of Cheyenne, WY when a loud pop occurred that I immediately thought was a front tire blowout but quickly realized something bad had happened to the chassis system. All the warning lights were illuminated and the only analog gauge that worked was the fuel gauge. The Allison shift panel was showing "cat eyes". The engine was still running. I called the Freightliner 24/7 number and was advised to turn the main battery disconnect switch off for 5 minutes, which I did with no change. They recommended Floyds Truck repair in Cheyenne. I was able to drive there reluctantly with no gauges using my GPS for speed. Everything seemed to operate normally but being anal about driving by my gauges I was reluctant. We made it to the dealer before closing time on Saturday but they would not reopen until Monday so we "camped" out with the truckers in their lot. After 5 days of testing etc, they determined the ECM was bad and the ABS module was bad. They replaced the ECM but couldn't locate an ABS module. We left Friday afternoon and headed home to Texas with everything working normally but the ABS light was still on. By the time we got home the check engine light was back on along with the ABS light. The cruise control would drop out intermittently and the shift pad would have the cat eyes intermittently.

I took it to the Freightliner dealer in Buda, TX, between Austin and San Antonio 6 weeks ago today. They have spent all this time finding and disconnecting 7 modules checking the wiring resistance and the module. It was like looking for a needle in a haystack finding all the modules. Until noon yesterday, they had found nothing and then they found a module on the FTL schematics that is an optional module. Bingo!! Module number 8. This is the TRW module that is located on the steering column and of course, is the control module for the comfort steer. They have been working with Lamont, the Newmar contact in Gafney and when they asked him about it he knew nothing about it...allegedly. The dealer called TRW and found out there had been a recall on this module for some time, I'm not sure what years or models or how long ago the recall was issued but I would advise those of you with a 2017 Ventana contact TRW. Thank God in heaven, I'm still in factory warranty for another 2 weeks. Interestingly the steering seemed normal. I hope this saves some of you the grief and misery we've been through plus we had planned to spend the months of July and August in the Colorado mountains where its about 30-40 ℉ cooler than in the Texas hill country.

Thanks for sharing. I wonder if Gaffney knows who and how to check on this via TRW.

If you have any info such as a number to call that would be great. I'll inquire with Gaffney but if I have to go direct to TRW I have no clue who to call.

I will see if my dealer can give me a contact for TRW. I don't believe FTL was aware of the recall.

Update....they replaced the ABS module and everything is communicating as it should. They will be installing the TRW module hopefully this afternoon and with luck, I can pick it up tomorrow. 7 weeks in the shop...ugh.
Neal, I send the service manager an email requesting contact info for TRW. As soon as I get any info I'll post here. Did you have a chance to talk to FTL yet?

Neal, I send the service manager an email requesting contact info for TRW. As soon as I get any info I'll post here. Did you have a chance to talk to FTL yet?

Thanks and no, I completely forgot. Busy day. I'll put it on my list for tomorrow, or I'll send an email tonight as that's how I usually communicate with them for info only correspondence. I'll report back if/when I have something to share.

I emailed FL and 10 minutes later they replied that there are no open recalls/campaigns on my VIN. I'm not sure if TRW is included or not so waiting to see if you can get a point of contact. Maybe someone can invite the Comfort Steer guy from iRV2 over here (Ken S I think was his name). If anyone knows his contact info or has his document please reach out. I'll see if I have it as I think I saved his comfort steer document.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back