• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

kcain98

RVF Regular
Hi,
So me and my fiance live in a 2002 Sunnybrook Lite Travel Trailer its pretty worn down old, it has its leaks which we've normally been able to solve and fix. But for the life of us we can't figure out this one. I need some help with this one

So underneath the couch & outside of the couch and by the wall there has been water seeping up the floor (what I would describe, kinda of hard to) it's enough to soak up a towel. The water heater is underneath the couch, so I'm think that might be a possibility. But even if it is not sure how we would get to it since it's underneath the couch. It's enough water to cause water damage on the wood. We also have a leaky kitchen sink that sprays water when in use if that's any help.

Any ideas on how to figure this out so we can stop this leak would be wonderful. We are absolutely stumped!

Is the water warm? If so, it’s probably the water heater. If not, it’s probably not.

I hate to say it but I see a circular saw in your future.

Grab a drill and use a small hole saw or spade blade and drill a hole in the floor where the wood is damaged.

If you have an inspection camera, break it out and stick the camera in the hole and look around to see if you can determine the source of the leak. If you can’t, still take a look around and look for anything butted up against the subfloor. You’ll want to avoid that area in the next steps.

Grab your measuring tape and measure the thickness of your subfloor. It’s probably 1/2” but I don’t know for certain.

Grab the saw and set the cutting depth to whatever the thickness of your subfloor is. Cut a square around your water damaged area.

Remove the subfloor cutout, find the leak and fix it.

Look for additional water damage below the subfloor and remediate.

Go to the hardware store and purchase some plywood of the same thickness as your subfloor. Additionally, purchase a 2” x 1” piece of lumbar.

Cut the 2” x 1” lumber into four pieces to frame out the hole in your floor. Slide each piece under the subfloor and screw into it from above the subfloor, leaving half of the width of the subfloor revealed through the hole in your subfloor, to create a supporting lip for your subfloor patch.

Cut the plywood to to same dimensions and shape as the hole in your subfloor.

Drop it in place, the lip created by 2” x 1” lumbar secured to the subfloor will prevent your patch from falling through.

Screw the patch to the lip.

Apply cosmetic flooring repairs as needed.

Is the water warm? If so, it’s probably the water heater. If not, it’s probably not.

I hate to say it but I see a circular saw in your future.

Grab a drill and use a small hole saw or spade blade and drill a hole in the floor where the wood is damaged.

If you have an inspection camera, break it out and stick the camera in the hole and look around to see if you can determine the source of the leak. If you can’t, still take a look around and look for anything butted up against the subfloor. You’ll want to avoid that area in the next steps.

Grab your measuring tape and measure the thickness of your subfloor. It’s probably 1/2” but I don’t know for certain.

Grab the saw and set the cutting depth to whatever the thickness of your subfloor is. Cut a square around your water damaged area.

Remove the subfloor cutout, find the leak and fix it.

Look for additional water damage below the subfloor and remediate.

Go to the hardware store and purchase some plywood of the same thickness as your subfloor. Additionally, purchase a 2” x 1” piece of lumbar.

Cut the 2” x 1” lumber into four pieces to frame out the hole in your floor. Slide each piece under the subfloor and screw into it from above the subfloor, leaving half of the width of the subfloor revealed through the hole in your subfloor, to create a supporting lip for your subfloor patch.

Cut the plywood to to same dimensions and shape as the hole in your subfloor.

Drop it in place, the lip created by 2” x 1” lumbar secured to the subfloor will prevent your patch from falling through.

Screw the patch to the lip.

Apply cosmetic flooring repairs as needed.
I'm pretty last time I felt the water the water was cool not warm.

Is the wall wet or squishy?

Is the wall wet or squishy?
The places (including the one wall) where its seeping out of is wet and every time I dry it starts to seep up again. If I don't leave towels down there ends up being puddles of water I've noticed.
I do live in Washington State so we tend to have lots of rainy, windy weather.

I might pull the interior wall down if I were you then. Sounds like it’s actually coming from the roof and down the wall.

I might pull the interior wall down if I were you then. Sounds like it’s actually coming from the roof and down the wall.

Would you have any way of telling its the water heater leak besides the water possibly being warm? Our propane doesn't work, so we have limited hot water. We are exploring all our options right now.

Cut water to your hot water lines. If the leak stops and the area dries up, it’s either the hot water heater or the hot water lines coming out of it. If the leak continues and the area stays wet, it’s either the cold water lines feeding your hot water heater, or the roof.

Cut water to your hot water lines. If the leak stops and the area dries up, it’s either the hot water heater or the hot water lines coming out of it. If the leak continues and the area stays wet, it’s either the cold water lines feeding your hot water heater, or the roof.
And how exactly would you do that? I just wanna get as much information as I can so we do everything right.

I don’t know your RV model but surely there is access to the hot water heater somewhere. Often, it is behind a hatch somewhere. You might see a manifold with multiple valves or more likely, a couple of lines, hopefully each with a ball valve installed. If not, you might have to install the ball valve in order to cut water to the hot water heater.

Latest resources

Back