Chassis
Spartan K2
Engine
Cummins ISL9
TOW/TOAD
2023 GMC Sierra
Fulltimer
Yes
I know many know about the several unwanted awning deployments there have been with the Girard awnings. I just want to share an incident I saw on I-15 in Utah yesterday as I can’t seem to get it out of my head. Around Cedar City I saw a Motorhome on the side of the highway, as I approached my first thought was to move over to the other lane to provide a safety margin. Too much traffic so a no go. I realized upon getting closer it was another Newmar and something was hanging from the roof line at the rear half passenger side of the coach. Upon passing it was obvious the rear awning had deployed while traveling?

This would be such a nightmare, I had gotten in the habit of unplugging the control modules in the basement on our 2017. The new 2020 DS has a lock switch on the remote and panel in the overhead cabinet. I have not researched how it locks out the awning ie removes power but know if you try to deploy the awnings they do not go out. This has given me the impression that I didn’t need to unplug the controllers anymore. After seeing the incident yesterday I will go back to unplugging them until I research what the lock button actual does.

I know there was also a coach that was involved with Newmar and Girard in resolving the issue where a filter was installed to eliminate RF which was causing a problem. I’m not convinced that the issue has been resolved.

Yikes! Those Girards look gorgeous but the stories are a nightmare!

Is there a fuse in the coach that would be easier to pull to remove power in one place? What about putting in some master on/off switch that disables power?

Did it deploy or did the wind get under the material and unrolled. maybe a lock failed?

Is there a fuse in the coach that would be easier to pull to remove power in one place? What about putting in some master on/off switch that disables power?

I think this is what the lock button is for, I just need to confirm how/what it actually does. I am thinking of calling Girard after I dig out the manual and see if it describes what the button actually does.

Attachments

• E268FA86-AB86-4F5F-AF36-E8CD17BD68E9.jpeg
    E268FA86-AB86-4F5F-AF36-E8CD17BD68E9.jpeg
    829.6 KB · Views: 46
Update on locking button included on remotes. This only locks out the remote and does not remove any power. You can push the button on the controllers and awnings will deploy/retract. I will continue to unplug the controllers as a safety measure when traveling?

Where is the power to the awning motors themselves? If it's a fuse, wouldn't that be the best place to disable?

Easy enough to pull 2 110vac plugs that are located on aft wall of the passenger side half bay compartment. I will take a look but since it’s ac for controllers I doubt there is a fuse. When I get back in the coach today I will look at breakers in 1/2 bath and my pictures of all the fuse panels

Easy enough to pull 2 110vac plugs that are located on aft wall of the passenger side half bay compartment. I will take a look but since it’s ac for controllers I doubt there is a fuse. When I get back in the coach today I will look at breakers in 1/2 bath and my pictures of all the fuse panels
Is there any chance that pulling the plugs (i.e. removing power) could affect any programming in the awning controller? I don't know how much programming (if any) is involved. In/out stop limits, perhaps?

TJ

Hasn’t changed anything on mine, I’ve been doing it since we had our 2017. I was thinking the lock button may mean the awnings were locked and couldn’t deploy. I was wrong?only disables remotes. Stop limits are a function of motor and the arm extension.

Latest resources

Back