Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I've been thrilled with my pepwave setup since installing it in the fall of 2018. I knew that about two years in I'd consider upgrading the technology which will likely be a 2-3 year cycle. I currently use a dual setup of a Pepwave MAX BR1 MK2 along side a Pepwave MAX BR1 MINI (with WAN license). I've explored various antennas such as my favorite panorama low profiles, panorama omni's, surecall omni's. Everthing remains working great to date but it's time for a technology upgrade. This is also inspired by my recent camping trip where I had the biggest struggles to date as I was in a fringe mountain location. Internet was still usable at an average of 2-5 MB download speeds but on Verizon prepaid as AT&T was not the dominant provider here. I considered calling Verizon to move to postpaid and see how that would work but I wasn't willing to spend what would be needed on those hotspot plans, it's crazy how much these companies are charging but we pay it so it's not going to end. Yes, starlink is entering beta, pricing for that is going to be about $99/mo after what I believe is a $500 equipment charge. That's for another day, for now it's still cellular for me as it's been working great and I still hold on to a Mobley plan which is gold. I am concerned with tickling AT&T with an equipment change on the Mobley but it has to happen someday.

It's time to explore CAT 18 and the Pepwave MAX Transit DUO seems to be the answer. I know Cradlepoint has their solutions but much more expensive and no way am I leaving the ability to set the TTL value which helps us I believe with cellular speeds to help avoid being identified as hotspot vs. phone. I ordered the CAT 18 version of the Pepwave MAX Transit which is the NON DUO model. CAT 6 and 12 cellular modem editions come with two modems as it has 4 antenna ports but the CAT 18 with 4x4 MIMO requires all four of those ports so it's a single modem setup. You have to contact 5GStore.com for princing, it is going to be around $700.

I am going with the pepwave PUMA 401 antenna which is a 4X4 MIMO cellular and a GPS antenna. The specs look good and I'm looking forward to exploring this antenna. The leads IIRC are about 6.5ft and I really don't want to put on extensions so I'm going to have to evaluate where I'm going to mount this. I'm likely going in the half bath electrical panel area and then up to the roof above that and will likely have to fabricate a mount unless I can reach the rear AC cover like I did with the panorama on the front AC. I can buy SMA extensions but ideally you want less connectors and less cable length for ideal connectivity so again I'll have to think hard on this.

I like the active/active setup I use now with two pepwave units but I'm a little tired of so many antennas on the roof and I will just deal with the 1 minute switchover as needed and pick a carrier and stick with it after testing at each location. AT&T is typically the winner for my travels so we'll see how this plays out. I could add another setup of the same to have an active/active dual carrier if desired but I don't see it happening. I also like the mid-ship wifi location and it's right on the patio side wall for Internet at the patio if needed but I haven't had any problems with my current setup at the front of the coach.

My order should arrive tomorrow as it was placed Sunday or Monday. I'm staying put until late December so I'm not sure when I'll install this and I really won't be able to compare against the former units as I don't plan on moving SIMS around but the MAX BR1 MK2 is likely staying, the BR1 MINI I'll likely sell. My current speeds have been great to date but I'm ready to give CAT 18 a go with Pepwave's latest offering and antenna.

Stay tuned...

Great choice Neal. FYI, I didn't care for the performance of their built in wifi so I added a small mesh network inside the coach. Your results may differ. Are you using the WAN port for another modem to do some load balancing on another carrier? ( you said you're keeping the MAX BR1 ?). I do not use my 6' ish extension that came with mine if you want it.

Great choice Neal. FYI, I didn't care for the performance of their built in wifi so I added a small mesh network inside the coach. Your results may differ. Are you using the WAN port for another modem to do some load balancing on another carrier? ( you said you're keeping the MAX BR1 ?). I do not use my 6' ish extension that came with mine if you want it.
Currently I use the WAN port on the BR1 MK2 to piggy back the BR1 MINI. If I put the two units in the current location (over driver's seat) then they will be ethernet connected the same. That's my dilemma, simply replace BR1 MINI with TRANSIT or put transit in the half bath so the wifi is mid ship and also patio wall. Currently my wifi is fine from the front of the coach. I have a panorama 5-in-1 on the roof so that's wifi for the BR1 MK2 if desired but I decided to bring the wifi inside and use the paddle antennas which are working great. I used to have a Netgear Orbi mesh network mid coach and I think that caused more problems than benefits.

Review the wifi settings and you can increase the power if needed.

What? Why not Starlink? It’s bound to have great coverage?

We had a time in W. NC. too...but we expected it. The FHU loop is called the Lake loop and is down the hillside. We deployed our RV65 WeBoost...and set the Pepwave next to the indoor antenna. Data rate was dismal at times...but we’re not complaining. The location was worth it.

Starlink is on my radar, probably a year away.

Received the Pepwave CAT 18 today along with the Pepwave PUMA 401 antenna. It will probably be a few weeks before I install it, no rush but will be setup prior to end of Dec departure. Won't have comparison numbers as I don't intend to compare to the former units, just making a 2 year cycle upgrade and simplifying a few things in my networking setup.

The pepwave antenna looks of high quality, not as large as I expected (130mm diameter). Here is the spec sheet, looks like a great antenna to pair with the Pepwave Transit CAT 18 unit.

I'm building out my internet setup. I just ordered a Pepwave Max Transit to go along with my Nighthawk 5G Hotspot Pro from AT&T. I'm curious about your thoughts on antenna options. I've been considering the Poynting OMNI-402 for the Nighthawk, but now that I've opted for the Pepwave, I'm thinking I need an antenna that can handle both the Nighthawk (2x2 MIMO) and the Pepwave (2x2 MIMO for Cat-6/12, 4x4 MIMO for Cat-18). Also, frankly the whole CAT thing has me a bit flummoxed, but I'll do some research. Finally, do you use an external antenna for WIFI, or rely on the antenna that comes with the Pepwave?

Thanks

Which MaxTransit did you get? They have CAT4-CAT18 modem options. As for the antenna- If you went CAT18 you'll need a 4 leads just for the cellular, and 2 more for WIFI, and typically 1 for GPS, or a 7 in 1 antenna minimum, like this MobileMark Poynting 7-in-1 4xLTE, 2xWIFI & 1xGPS Roof Antenna

If you went Cat4/6 or 12, you'll need an antenna supporting 5 leads, 2 for cellular, 2 for wifi, and 1 for GPS. Like this Poynting model Poynting 5-in-1 Cellular, WIFI & GPS RV and Marine Roof Ante

A rooftop antenna is highly desirable for cell and public wifi reception vs the paddle antenna included with the maxtransit, but the paddles will work, and you'll save on the cost of the antenna and the installation labor.

Regarding your nighthawk, i'd just use it without an external antenna and see how you get on. I use one in this fashion ( I actually have a small window mount antenna but it doesn't really seem to help) and it works great. Your Nighthawk is actually 4x4 MIMO antennas built in. There's no clear answer I've found that the Nighthawk works better on 2 external antenna's then it does using the 4 built in ones.

Your going to have a nice setup regardless with the Nighthawk and Maxtransit, lots of flexibility.

I am planning to go with a roof mounted WiFi antenna but separate from the Cellular/GPS antenna and with good separation. I ordered the pepwave WiFi antenna which I'll be using.

Latest resources

Back