RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Ford
RV Model
Transit
Fulltimer
Yes
I live in Colorado & there’s a used campervan in Idaho I’ve only seen some pictures of on a campervan website. What do I do next?

What we do is ask for current pictures of the VIN and the unit. We would also ask for copies of ownership papers to be sure the seller is the owner. If people are financing, we always suggest 2 trips is best. One to touch and inspect (leave a deposit if buying it) and the second to pick it up after everything is checked out. For us, ownership papers being correct is just as important as the unit is.
Let us know if we can help.
Thank you,
Ken

What we do is ask for current pictures of the VIN and the unit. We would also ask for copies of ownership papers to be sure the seller is the owner. If people are financing, we always suggest 2 trips is best. One to touch and inspect (leave a deposit if buying it) and the second to pick it up after everything is checked out. For us, ownership papers being correct is just as important as the unit is.
Thank you,
Ken
Thank you for your response. I offered to mail the seller a check for a $5,000 deposit but he wanted me to Venmo $1,000. I don’t Venmo so I took it as a sign and backed out.

Much as you may want it now, on inspection you might not be as thrilled and that deposit will pretty much rope you in to the deal. When I see a deal that seems that promising, I just saddle up with cash in hand and head out and see if its worth pursuing. Idaho isnt all that far away. Is it from a private seller or a dealer?

Much as you may want it now, on inspection you might not be as thrilled and that deposit will pretty much rope you in to the deal. When I see a deal that seems that promising, I just saddle up with cash in hand and head out and see if its worth pursuing. Idaho isnt all that far away. Is it from a private seller or a dealer?
thank you for great advice

thank you for great advice
I‘ll admit I learned this one the hard way. The coach, a 25’ 2010 Phoenix Cruiser in 2012, looked perfect in the pics, was very low milage, price was below value and I actually made money on it, but when I finally set foot in it after putting a $5000 deposit on it (at the factory in Elkhart - it was a trade in) it just didn't fit me.

But I was stuck with the deal (Kermit can be a bit difficult to deal with) so I struggled with it for a couple years and moved on. Moral of the story - unless there is no question, inspect before you commit.

And the venmo deal sounds like a good way to give away money, but I dont know if there is any recourse like Paypal, which has limited recourse at best.

I‘ll admit I learned this one the hard way. The coach, a 25’ 2010 Phoenix Cruiser in 2012, looked perfect in the pics, was very low milage, price was below value and I actually made money on it, but when I finally set foot in it after putting a $5000 deposit on it (at the factory in Elkhart - it was a trade in) it just didn't fit me.

But I was stuck with the deal (Kermit can be a bit difficult to deal with) so I struggled with it for a couple years and moved on. Moral of the story - unless there is no question, inspect before you commit.

And the venmo deal sounds like a good way to give away money, but I dont know if there is any recourse like Paypal, which has limited recourse at best.
Thank you for telling me your experience. Hearing your story was so much better than the lecture i got from my bf. Thank you for your service as well.

Thank you for your response. I offered to mail the seller a check for a $5,000 deposit but he wanted me to Venmo $1,000. I don’t Venmo so I took it as a sign and backed out.
All I can do is compare to what we do with private buyers and sellers. We NEVER send checks to people. We have never used VENMO. We wire or ACH funds. It is safe for both parties and the funds are always good. Besides, why would you send any money before knowing if they have a loan against it? What happens if the payoff is higher than the amount left between your deposit and the balance of the selling price? Who pays off the loan? Have you seen ownership papers to be sure it is even theirs to sell?
Just my opinion but there are way too many unanswered questions to be sending money in any form.
Ken

Latest resources

Back