RV Length
43'
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 450HP
TOW/TOAD
2022 Jeep Unlimited Sport S w/ Air Force One and Blue Ox
Purchased a used (2015 Newmar Dutch Star) a few months ago. Finally starting to take trips and for now we've been using bottled water for consumption and the fresh water tank for cleaning, showering, etc. I don't detect any huge smell issue but I don't know how the tank was maintained etc.

I would prefer to not have to use bottled water but I want to make sure my tanks are clean and potable. I've read about adding some bleach upon fill and flushing but is that truly enough? What would you recommend for a full system clean?

Is there any affordable testing that could be done on a water sample ?

You can remove the house filter, put bleach there, or if you also want your fill hose bleached/sanitized put it in that way then fill the tank, let it sit a bit and then fill and empty the tank twice. I replace the house filter quarterly when in use, when not in use a new one goes in at start of next trip.

You can remove the house filter, put bleach there, or if you also want your fill hose bleached/sanitized put it in that way then fill the tank, let it sit a bit and then fill and empty the tank twice. I replace the house filter quarterly when in use, when not in use a new one goes in at start of next trip.

Thanks Neal, already replaced the house filter and had read up on bleach, was just wondering if there was really nothing more to it than that. Do you know if there's any way with a scope to look into the tank, I have one but only have about 12" of length on it. I've heard horror stories of RV for sales that sat with water prior to sale and had growth inside the tank. While bleach might kill everything in it just wonder if a visual inspection is a thing.

Latest resources

Back