Chassis
Ford Econoline E450
Engine
Triton V10
TOW/TOAD
Toyota Corolla
Fulltimer
No
The ONAN/Cummins 4KY generator was challenging to start; if it did, it would not run for long. After reading all the threads here and elsewhere, this is what cured our problem - it may work for you.
I poured six 16-ounce cans of Sea Foam ($8.49 a can at Walmart) into the full 55-gallon gas tank of the 29-foot Class C Forest River motorhome and let it sit for 15 minutes. Keep in mind that I have been running 87 (E10) gas in the motorhome, and it has been running fine; only the generator was giving us issues.
I tried the starter on the generator outside several times while observing the exhaust pipe. After 4 or 5 tries, white smoke came out of the exhaust, and it ran continuously. Then I went inside to make a cup of coffee; it quit.
Once again, it started after a few tries, and I let it run for about 10 minutes, then made the coffee; this puts a load on it, and it ran fine. I waited a few minutes and turned the microwave; it still ran. Lastly, after about 30 minutes, I turned all the appliances to load the generator; it ran fine!
I conclude that the carburetor's gasoline jet(s) was somewhat clogged using the 87 octane, ethanol gas, and prolonged sitting. Furthermore, the jet(s) were probably not completely clean initially, which explains why the generator quit when loaded by the Keurig. After continued use of the gas fortified with Sea Foam, the jet(s) probably cleared up enough to run the generator under full load.
This happened a week ago, and I have run the generator for about 10 hours as we are driving from camp to camp; there are no issues whatsoever.
The instructions on the can call for 1 ounce per gallon of fuel for stabilizing the fuel during prolonged storage and 2 ounces for cleaning injectors/carburetor jets. My mental math tells me I put close to 2 ounces.
Henceforth, I intend to run the generator every month, for 10 minutes or so, during the winter, after stabilizing the motorhome tank with 1 ounce per gallon of Sea Foam (3 cans into a full tank).
It sure beats taking apart the carburetor if you can get it to run by this method; you've got nothing to lose. Also, all the injectors in the Triton V10 are now cleaner than before, an added benefit. Try the simple things first!

Hello,

Great news that the Seafoam worked for you but I most certainly try to avoid E10 and use the no ethanol 87 octane stuff that I can get around here locally. It costs about 75 cents more per gallon but my generators and yard internal combustion tools all love it.

I use a variety of alternatives to Seafoam when I rarely have carb troubles that work better - BG Products 44K Platinum, AC Delco X66P, Chevron Techron and Berryman's. And yea, I pour that stuff in at VERY HIGH CONCENTRATIONS without difficulty.

Rick

Latest resources

Back