Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Answered Using Oasis instead of heat pump?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if it is possible to use Oasis for heat instead of the heat pumps? I know that Oasis will switch in when the outside temperature drops to 40 degrees or so, but is there a way to manually enable Oasis at other times? On our MADP, the climate control is through SilverLeaf and I don't see a way to shut off the heat pumps and use Oasis instead for coach heat.

Any ideas?

TJ

In my world, non Silverleaf I have the choice of heat pump or furnace. You should also have a "furnace" option and that's the 12V powered convectors/blowers.

TJ, I'm not quite clear...so sorry if this isn't relevant help.

On our 19 DS, our panel for the "Heat Pumps" (from the A/C units) come from the Domestic Thermostat. IF those are OFF...those will never come on.

The OASIS Heating is strictly controlled by a separate panel which let's me select AC1/2 (Electric) with one switch, and BURNER (Diesel) with another.

The "40º" you refer to, is a convector in the Wet Bay that will come on when it's colder. This, for my rig, does NOT trigger the Oasis unless of course, it's turned on by the above panel.

I hope this points you in the general direction.

Last edited:
This is from my manual...do a search on "Convector".

PAGE 106
BASEMENT HEAT CONVECTOR(S)
The basement heat is activated by a separate fixed thermostat in the basement area when the compartment temperature falls below approximately 40 degrees Fahrenheit. If this happens, the hot antifreeze solution in the Oasis system will circulate, and the blower will turn on to supply heat in the basement/water compartment area. The Oasis system must be turned on and the fluid must be above the low temperature cutout for heat output.

COACHES WITH SILVERLEAF
The Oasis System must be turned on from the SilverLeaf touchscreen, and the water temperature in the Oasis System must be up to temperature for the basement heat to work.
Note: The basement heat only works when the furnace (Oasis System) is activated. It will NOT function if the Oasis System is off and the coach is being heated via the roof air conditioner heat pumps.

TJ, I'm a bit confused...so sorry if this isn't a relevant question to help.

On our 19 DS, our panel for the "Heat Pumps" (from the A/C units) come from the Domestic Thermostat. IF those are OFF...those will never come on.

The OASIS Heating is strictly controlled by a separate panel which let's me select AC1/2 with one switch, and BURNER (Oasis) with another.

The "40º" you refer to, is a convector in the Wet Bay that will come on when it's colder. This, for my rig, does NOT trigger the Oasis unless of course, it's turned on by the above panel.

I hope this points you in the general direction.
Yes, the systems are quite different. Under SilverLeaf, there is a single "Climate" panel (accessed via the touch screen) for "Heat" and "Cool," allowing either to be selected and temperatures to be set. "Auto" can also be selected, allowing high and low temperatures to be set and provide heating or cooling as needed.

An "Oasis" subpanel can be selected, allowing the selection of "AC1," "AC2," and "Burner." Thus, I can disable Oasis by not selecting any of the three options, but I'm looking for a way to disable the heat pumps and just use Oasis for coach heat. As yet, I have not found that option. There is no "Furnace" as @Neal suggests; probably because this is an all-electric coach. There is no furnace, per se.

As for the 40-degree issue, that is where the heat pumps are automatically disabled and Oasis takes over the heating duties. Heat pump efficiency begins to decline significantly when outside temps drop below 40 degrees. I am not concerned with wet bay/basement heating; just coach interior heating.

This is primarily an academic exercise, but I really would like to know if it is possible in case I ever needed to do it.

TJ

@TJ&LadyDi - I have an all electric coach, "furnace" is the OASIS system heated by either 12V or burner (if burner is on).

Try this: In Silverleaf go to Configuration then Climate Configuration. On Climate Settings look for "Sec. Heat Management" select "Secondary Only" which is your OASIS.

@TJ&LadyDi - I have an all electric coach, "furnace" is the OASIS system heated by either 12V or burner (if burner is on).

Try this: In Silverleaf go to Configuration then Climate Configuration. On Climate Settings look for "Sec. Heat Management" select "Secondary Only" which is your OASIS.
You jogged my ancient memory! I do remember something about going into the configuration settings in the past. It is just a deeper dig into the SilverLeaf panel. I will look there. Thanks.

TJ

TJ,

I'm not sure if you're confused, but I've done it all the time, and studied until I could fully understand and get it straight. So forgive me if you know this...but it may help others too...

OASIS is the "Hydronic" system for heating air and water. It has two sources of heat; the AC electric and Diesel...but they are BOTH considered the "Oasis" system. For this type of heating to be used, the thermostat must be in the "FURN" position.

When you refer to "Pumps", that's a term that refers to the HEAT PUMPS within the A/C units on the roof and are completely separate. These are controlled by the THERMOSTAT being in the "HP" position.

I've reviewed the Silverleaf info on Newgle, and I still see the same controls as above, just in sub-screens.

My thought is that you need to turn "AUTO" off. Have you done that? On the Dometic system, the Auto function will DEMAND the A/C units be used for cool and heat.

Let me know if we're getting close.

TJ,

I'm not sure if you're confused, but I've done it all the time, and studied until I could fully understand and get it straight. So forgive me if you know this...but it may help others too...

OASIS is the "Hydronic" system for heating air and water. It has two sources of heat; the AC electric and Diesel...but they are BOTH considered the "Oasis" system. For this type of heating to be used, the thermostat must be in the "FURN" position.

When you refer to "Pumps", that's a term that refers to the HEAT PUMPS within the A/C units on the roof and are completely separate. These are controlled by the THERMOSTAT being in the "HP" position.

I've reviewed the Silverleaf info on Newgle, and I still see the same controls as above, just in sub-screens.

My thought is that you need to turn "AUTO" off. Have you done that? On the Dometic system, the Auto function will DEMAND the A/C units be used for cool and heat.

Let me know if we're getting close.
I'm afraid we are not only on different pages, we don't even seem to be in the same library. :ROFLMAO:

I do know how the system works and @Neal jogged my memory regarding how to do what I was asking about. It is in the configuration menu (different SilverLeaf panel from the "Climate" and "Oasis" screens). From there, I can manipulate which system is primary and which is secondary.

And, we do not use the "Auto" function; it is turned off.

Thanks for your efforts to help. I think the problem is now solved.

TJ

Ok good. Figures...I typed my reply and didn’t get a chance to see Neal’s or your replies yet.

All good...I don’t like the library anyways.

Shoot...so I don’t get the big prize. LOL

Latest resources

Back