Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Stumpy

RVF Newbee
I am a new first time owner. We bought a travel trailer to stay in at our ranch while hunting. Lows in the teens are pretty common but it rarely gets colder than that. At our place we don’t have any water or electric connections yet so we have been filling the holding tank and using a generator. We haul the RV back and forth and don’t leave it out there.

I have read up on how to properly winterize the RV and I think I have that down properly.

My question is how or what do I do if I want to use the RV while freezing temperatures are expected? For example with the kids out of school this week I was thinking of taking them to the ranch for a few days but looking at the forecast it will get below freezing every night. I assume the interior pipes will be fine since the RV will be heated but about the holding tanks - fresh/grey/black? Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to RVF, @Stumpy; glad to have you join us here. Without knowing the specifics of your travel trailer, it is hard to provide any definitive information. usually, as long as the trailer is heated inside, the holding tanks will probably not freeze as there will be enough heat leakage through the floor to prevent that from happening.

Will the daytime temps at your location get above freezing? If so, that will help. If there is any way to block air from blowing under the trailer, that will help a lot. We have used hay/straw bales to do that and it worked well. We've also used styrofoam blocks with the same result. Anything that will trap the air under the trailer will help.

TJ

Thanks. The trailer is a 2015 Jayco 264 BHW. This coming week the forecast each day is lows in the 20’s and highs in the 50’s. The coldest it has been so far this year was 17.

With the daytime temps well above freezing and the interior of the trailer being heated, I think you should be fine even if the overnight temps dip into the low 20s.

Many of the Jacyco trailers seem to have a "Climate Shield" package that encloses and insulates the under-belly. Don't know if yours has that, but it would certainly ensure that your holding tanks and plumbing lines won't freeze in even colder weather than you describe.

Good luck and happy camping. Merry Christmas too.

TJ

Latest resources

Back