Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

625hibiscus

RVF Regular
My 2021 Forester Classic 3051S came with a Winegard 360 antennae. I assumed it was wired in and ready to receive local TV and radio. Is that true, or do I need some other piece of equipment? If something else is needed, what would that be? I have done a channel scan on both TVs in the RV and get no channels. Granted, at first I was in an area where even cell phone service was non-existent, but now am in Golden Valley, AZ so hopefully I would get at least one channel. The Winegard "manual" provided by Forest River is a joke, it basically has a picture and says "this is a Winegard antennae". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1635791877454.png

Ensure the antenna power supply (wall plate) is in the “ON” position and the green indicator light is illuminated

I'm on RV #4 and I've found that the Fine Amish Craftsman do not always connect the coaxial TV cables, or connect them loosely, or accidentally stab the cables with a staple. I grabbed a coax tester for about $30 from Home Depot and found three completely disconnected cables in my current RV.

If Redbaron's tip doesn't work, it might worth picking one of these up:

Cable Tester

View attachment 9651

Ensure the antenna power supply (wall plate) is in the “ON” position and the green indicator light is illuminated
The bottom connector is the TV antenna and the ON/OFF button must be ON with the green indicator light on. The top connector is the cable connection or satellite connection as provided on the side of the trailer. Depending on your location, TV signals travel mostly in a straight line and you could be hidden behind a hill from the TV transmitters. If your TV setup menu has such, be sure you are scanning for off-air signals or cable signals. They are different frequencies. The off-air TV signals are good for 25 miles or so unless you are on a nice high hill.

View attachment 9651

That was the secret, although the location of this faceplate makes it difficult (impossible) to see the green light. It was necessary to stand on the sofa, and use a flashlight at just the right angle in the cabinet to actually see the on/off button. But, that was the answer. Thank you! Manufacturers do not seem to make things easy for end users.

My 2021 Forester Classic 3051S came with a Winegard 360 antennae. I assumed it was wired in and ready to receive local TV and radio. Is that true, or do I need some other piece of equipment? If something else is needed, what would that be? I have done a channel scan on both TVs in the RV and get no channels. Granted, at first I was in an area where even cell phone service was non-existent, but now am in Golden Valley, AZ so hopefully I would get at least one channel. The Winegard "manual" provided by Forest River is a joke, it basically has a picture and says "this is a Winegard antennae". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
As a general rule, terrestrial digital TV is only good for about 25 miles, largely depending on terrain. More elevation and a clear horizon are a plus. Normally one only needs a smart TV, set the input for off-air ANTENNA choice, and start the scan. The rooftop antenna does have an active amplifier and thus one will want the power button on the wall plate to show illuminated. Unless you are in a metro area, don't expect to find many suitable channels.

Latest resources

Back