Forest River
RV Model
Salem FSX 270RTK-X
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2022 Ford Expedition Timberline
Fulltimer
Yes
I had lunch with an old buddy from my working days this week. He served 3 years in the Army back in the late 60's. He was not a VN vet nor did he have any type of disability from his service. His annual income is probably between 90,000 and 110,000 currently as a retiree. He showed me his VA medical card he has had since the early 2000's. He recently received a new pair of glasses for $50 from the VA, he gets all his scripts free, plus his hearing aids last year were almost free.

What gives? I thought you could only get medical benefits from the VA if you were on disability or your income was below a certain level?

There are some income limits (I don’t know the specific amounts) so he must be under them. Our annual income is a bit higher and I was turned down when I applied last year. Pretty much the same service profile as his; three years Army service in the mid-60s. Or, maybe the rules changed between the “early 2000s” and last year. Who knows.

TJ

I was told, back in the early 2000s that I should go down and apply for benefits and that I should be able to get meds and such at a minimum. I thought that was odd since I had no disabilities and hadn't retired from the military. I was in the Army '76-86 and they turned me down, saying I made too much income. I told my buddy down the street, he applied and got approved - he spent only 3 or 4 years in the Navy in the late '60s - no disabilities, just must have fit into their income window. He uses the VA as his medicare supplemental plan (like part G).

VA administration can be strange. In my case, Vietnam vet with 30% disability. Was able to get the disability payments much easier & quicker than the Veteran's ID card. I did not know I was even entitled to anything until I tried to get a Veteran's ID card so I could get 10% discounts at various stores.

I applied online and got a call within 24 hours from a clerk in the VA clinic at Cape Coral, Florida. He said they needed my DD214 in order to finish processing my application. Since I had indicated the Sebring FL clinic was my closest facility he said to drop it off there and they would scan it into the VA system. When I explained we were traveling out of state he had me mail it down.

Not sure if anything has changed or not as far as income limits go. I know for a fact my old work buddy gets at least $90,000 in State Of Illinois retirement benefits. When you apply there are certain qualifying factors that allow you to be considered before others, like service in VN, or serving at Camp Lejeune (NC) during a certain period of time, etc. Of course he was in the army so I know he probably wasn't at Camp Lejeune nor did he go to VN.

A friend from my VN days died a couple years ago. When I talked to his family at the visitation I learned that his medical issues started with bladder cancer and he went downhill quickly. The VA immediately granted him benefits and paid him throughout his year long battle. I did a little research back then and discovered that the base camp we both were at was the location of the largest accidental spill of Agent Orange of the Viet Nam war.

I don't know if I will be approved or not, sounds like a crap shoot. Since I used snail mail to send my DD214 my approval or disapproval probably won't be determined for another couple of weeks. Who knows, maybe there are other factors they are considering now. I will keep you guys posted.

A lot has changed with the VA over the years. I received a letter just yesterday outlining a few new conditions that are now covered. I qualify for 100% medical coverage but I don’t use it. The closest VA is about an hour away, and I choose to pay the copays on my Tricare coverage and stay close to home.

I think there is a difference in applying for a Veterans ID card, or applying for medical coverage/disability. Again I preface my comment with 'I think'.
With regards to the medical coverage provided by the the VA facilities...... I'm sure there are many facilities within the VA that provide excellent medical care. However, my experience with the VA led me to believe I would be better off using another provider. This obdservation is not intended to disparage the Dr.'s, instead I think they need to take a long hard look at the multitude of support personnel that sit around 'bull shitting' with each other & look for ways to impede any progress in resolving an issue. In my opinion, dealing with the VA is akin to dealing with the DMV licensing agency. Very focused on telling you what can't be done. COVID has made the situation even worse.
I am fortunate, I have medical coverage through my IBM retirement. Our Veterans deserve better than what they are provided.

I think there is a difference in applying for a Veterans ID card, or applying for medical coverage/disability. Again I preface my comment with 'I think'.
With regards to the medical coverage provided by the the VA facilities...... I'm sure there are many facilities within the VA that provide excellent medical care. However, my experience with the VA led me to believe I would be better off using another provider. This obdservation is not intended to disparage the Dr.'s, instead I think they need to take a long hard look at the multitude of support personnel that sit around 'bull shitting' with each other & look for ways to impede any progress in resolving an issue. In my opinion, dealing with the VA is akin to dealing with the DMV licensing agency. Very focused on telling you what can't be done. COVID has made the situation even worse.
I am fortunate, I have medical coverage through my IBM retirement. Our Veterans deserve better than what they are provided.
From my very limited experience talking with patients of VA facilities I agree. My BIL lost both of his legs in VN and has of course 100% disability. He recently received a new wheelchair which took him almost 2 years to get. I'm not talking about anything fancy or motorized, just a regular lightweight wheelchair to replace his which was over 20 years old.

I get medical coverage from my employer but they keep changing the plans so now my scripts are starting to cost several hundred dollars. I may not use VA medical benefits for much except a annual exam and scripts.

Not sure why they approved me for medical benefits but they did. A week ago I received two calls, one to confirm I was accepted and one to outline a little of what to expect. Since I was traveling out west they didn't go into a bunch of details on the phone but instead are mailing a booklet and additional information to my permanent address in Florida.

I am suppose to stop by the local clinic (Sebring) when I return to Florida and have my medical ID card made up. The next step would be to pick a VA doctor from that clinic or another one close by.

Without going into a lot of financial detail I will tell you that when I was filling out the application online it asked for my financial information. A side note came up and stated that if you did not want to reveal your financial status you were not required to, so I left all that information blank. Maybe that is why I was approved, maybe not. Maybe I was approved because of where I spent most of my time while in-country, maybe not. I don't know but I will give the VA system a shot and see how they perform.

I had lunch with an old buddy from my working days this week. He served 3 years in the Army back in the late 60's. He was not a VN vet nor did he have any type of disability from his service. His annual income is probably between 90,000 and 110,000 currently as a retiree. He showed me his VA medical card he has had since the early 2000's. He recently received a new pair of glasses for $50 from the VA, he gets all his scripts free, plus his hearing aids last year were almost free.

What gives? I thought you could only get medical benefits from the VA if you were on disability or your income was below a certain level?
Was in during Cuban crisis, that was considered war time. 62-64 receive most benefits at no cost. Hearing loss due to artillery exposure and aircraft noise. Glasses each year. Operations when needed. Free hearing aids. Found VA advocate who went to bat for me. Very thankful.?

Latest resources

Back