RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40"
TOW/TOAD
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Fulltimer
No
I am going to be towing a 2018 Jeep Wrangle Sahara behind my 2021 Ventana. I believe remember with my old Winnebago Adventure gasser I to put an extender on my hitch to either raise or lower so my tow bar was level with the ground. Any insight would be appreciated.

I have a jeep cherokee trailhawk that I towed behind my Ventana and did not need an extender. The rule I got from my manufacturer roadmaster was the following:
The tow bar must be within the ‘Safe Zone’ — no more than three inches above or below level. Towing with an out-of-level tow bar will cause significant wear and tear on the tow bar and baseplate, and on the towed vehicle’s suspension and frame.

I think it also depends on whether you are lifted etc on the Jeep.

@sheridany is right on the mark; +/- 3" above or below level...maximum. It really depends on the individual vehicle you are towing; you won't really know until you can set things up on a level surface.

We tow a 2014 Honda CR-V and with our 2014 Ventana LE, we needed a 2" drop to level things out. And, I am a bit of a nit-picker, so I like flat level; no +/- 3" for me. YMMV

When we moved to the 2018 Mountain Aire, I was prepared to use the same 2" drop but didn't need it. We were dead level without it.

TJ

1607872277953.png

Sketch your two vehicle's hitch elevations and make the calculation. Be sure that the coach is at ride height...aired up and ready to go down the road.

In the case above, the coach is at 18" and the towed is at 12.75". Equating to a difference of 5.25", which is outside the +-3" tolerance, by 2.25". If there is made a 5.25" drop hitch, all is good, however there is not. I selected a 4" drop which got me in the +-3" range.

Excellent calculation, @RandyB; well done! You could have gone with either the 4" or 6" drop, but I like your 4" choice for two reasons. First, it is the shorter drop and reduces side leverage (twist) in turns. Second, it keeps the toad slightly below the coach (but well within the +/- 3" tolerance) rather than above. The lighter toad will have a harder time submarining under the heavier coach than it would pole-vaulting over the coach hitch.

Good choice!

TJ

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back