Freightliner
Engine
400hp
TOW/TOAD
2007 CR-V
Fulltimer
No
Hi all,

I searched on this topic and did not find much, so I wanted to ask about the Victron Smartshunt and the groups experience with it. I am tempted to get one and put it in line with my Magnum one (@Chuggs said this could be done - hopefully he is around to again share his knowledge).

I have read that folks are unhappy with the Bluetooth range of the device…being in the battery department probably doesn’t help. I was also wondering if plugging it VE.direct port would allow for better use of the data (it seems to) or if the data would be able to be seen in the MPPT controller screen.

Anyway, as I start the process of restructuring my battery compartment for my new Battleborns, I figured this would be a good time to do this…if you guys feel it is worth the $130. I also have a Victron MPPT controller and Victron Smart Battery sensor.

So anyone have any experience with this model?
Thanks.

I had to look it up:

I have the BMV 712 and also the Magnum BMK. As I do have the Victron Venus GX, which I highly recommend, the smart shunt looks like it integrates with this for data. So yeah, smart shunt looks good when paired to a GX and replaces the need for the BMV 712.

All, To close this thread out, I reached out to Charlie and confirmed that he is using the BMV-712 and is able to feed the data to the Magnum BMK by connecting the wires directly to each side of the Victron shunt. (see pic below). Since this is easy to do with the Smart Shunt as well, and I would like to provide more battery data to the Victron Solar controller and be able to view SOC on my phone, I decided to buy one and install it as part of my project.

Rich

1641748294236.png

Latest resources

Back