Chassis
Dodge Ram
Engine
V6 Gas
TOW/TOAD
None
Fulltimer
No
We want to travel to Banff and pickup a tour of the ice fields. We are traveling in a Class B with no tow vehicle. Looking for options for camping and tour companies that will pick you up. Or, a hotel that has parking to handle a 21 ft camper for a few nights.

We want to travel to Banff and pickup a tour of the ice fields. We are traveling in a Class B with no tow vehicle. Looking for options for camping and tour companies that will pick you up. Or, a hotel that has parking to handle a 21 ft camper for a few nights.
Greetings Merlot; The Banff Townsite and The Icefields are within the Banff National Park boundaries. There are serviced and non serviced campsites sites available and all require a reservation. Here is a link that explains how and when you can reserve. Parks Canada Be advised, these campsites go very quickly. As far as hotel availability, I cannot recommend any in particular. You will get more accurate results by calling or emailing specific hotels. Just an FYI The Icefields are about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive from Banff. In the past, one has been able to overnight in the visitor parking lot for free. There are pay campgrounds somewhat close to the icefields as well. The Icefields Parkway is a very scenic drive.

My suggestion is to undertake the drive to and from the icefields in your Class B. There are many places to stop and have a look around. A couple of my favorites are Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, Peyto Lake, Bow Lake, Takakkaw Falls (the second highest falls in Canada) Takakkaw Falls - Wikipedia

Sorry I can't be more helpful. We just don't stay in Hotel/Motes nor do we opt to use tour companies.

Safe Travels

Darrell

Greetings Merlot; The Banff Townsite and The Icefields are within the Banff National Park boundaries. There are serviced and non serviced campsites sites available and all require a reservation. Here is a link that explains how and when you can reserve. Parks Canada Be advised, these campsites go very quickly. As far as hotel availability, I cannot recommend any in particular. You will get more accurate results by calling or emailing specific hotels. Just an FYI The Icefields are about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive from Banff. In the past, one has been able to overnight in the visitor parking lot for free. There are pay campgrounds somewhat close to the icefields as well. The Icefields Parkway is a very scenic drive.

My suggestion is to undertake the drive to and from the icefields in your Class B. There are many places to stop and have a look around. A couple of my favorites are Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, Peyto Lake, Bow Lake, Takakkaw Falls (the second highest falls in Canada) Takakkaw Falls - Wikipedia

Sorry I can't be more helpful. We just don't stay in Hotel/Motes nor do we opt to use tour companies.

Safe Travels

Darrell
Darrell,
This was very helpful. We have traveled in larger motor homes but this is our first Class B trip with no tow. I appreciate your insight.

Darrell,
This was very helpful. We have traveled in larger motor homes but this is our first Class B trip with no tow. I appreciate your insight.
No problem. I grew up in this area. If you have any further questions or need any insights let me know. Just an FYI, Early June or late September are better times to visit. The Banff/Jasper area gets stupid busy. Parking for attractions becomes impossible unless you arrive super early in the mornings. Visiting Lake Louise and Moraine Lake I suggest you reserve a campsite ASAP. If you can't get one near the Banff Townsite, Canmore (just outside of the park gates) is service by the ROAM shuttle service. Canmore is a nicer town than Banff by the way, but still a super busy place. There are two serviced campgrounds to chose from near Canmore. Both suffer from traffic and train noise. Tunnel Mountain's are quieter. Good luck!

Darrell

I think booking for Parks Canada starts in March now but if you take any spots we want, my wife will cut you.

How hard is it to transit the Canadian Border with a Class A motorhome? Any advice on how to prepare and what to bring, Passport, Medical Records, etc.

I think booking for Parks Canada starts in March now but if you take any spots we want, my wife will cut you.
I promise not to take ANY public spots in Banff or Canmore! :) The coach fits in our yard and I will only be in Canmore for a short period during April and May. We planned a small trip to Barkerville then up to Dawson and over to the Peace Country. From there, back down to Calgary. We will be at our daughters place until mid September then start our big trip again.

Where are you planning to stay in the Bow Valley?

Darrell

How hard is it to transit the Canadian Border with a Class A motorhome? Any advice on how to prepare and what to bring, Passport, Medical Records, etc.
Crossing from the US into Canada is reasonably painless with any type of vehicle just as long as you are aware that we are deathly afraid of guns! :) Well, most of us aren't but there are very specific laws regarding bring a weapon across the border. Here is a link Import and export a firearm or weapon into Canada. You don't say where you are going to cross into Canada but pretty much any port of entry that is located on an interstate route will be manned 24/7. I suggest that you fill your fuel tank as much as possible BEFORE you cross. The sticker shock regarding the cost of fuel just might kill you. If you are Costco Member, as in the US, they usually have the best prices. Also if you like to have to odd alcoholic drink, you may wish to come prepared. Booze is a big part of the government's ability to rob it's citizens legally. When I purchase 175 ml of booze in the US it is for around $20.00 US. In Canada, it will cost me over $60.00 Cdn. Same with beer. Very pricy but ours does have a little more power than the US stuff. The Canadian government does not require a COVID test at the moment and you should check your own health coverage to make sure it is valid in Canada. Please make sure you are healthy too. Here in Canada our health system is in shambles. A common saying is that "In Canada you get to wait in line only to die before anyone can treat you". I jest! It's not that bad but service in the US is far faster and usually with more up to date facilities. No matter what country you travel to, it is always best to have an up to date passport with you. You are mostly okay using American Currency where as our Canadian Dollar is rarely accepted in the US. But be aware, some places will take your US dollar at par which means you are losing about 30 cents. Change your US bucks for our colored money before you come. Specking of cents. Canadians no longer use pennys. If you buy something that costs 98 cents. You will pay a dollar. Also, speed is measured in Kilometers. A Km is about 6 10ths of a mile. If you see a road sign that says Calgary 10 get ready to fire the retros cause it's only 6 miles away. If you see the speed posted at 100...don't do it! We do like to drive fast but not that fast. Set your cruise at 60. Most major highways have a posted speed of 70. And last but not least......if you are from the south....lose the Y'all and learn to say eh as in "Nice day eh? Not "How y'all doin?" I think I have covered some of the more important parts. Ask away if you have any other questions or concerns.

Darrell

A 21ft class B would be about the biggest vehicle you want to go into downtown Banff with. It's a neat little Swiss Alps type town, and not much bigger. The little girls in the coo-coo clock would fit nicely, and parking is a battle, even on a motorcycle like we did.

Beautiful area, but popular so it can be crowded some places.

Cross the border was no big deal at all for us, had passport cards only and went right through.
Coming back across made me more nervous, the American border guards seemed like they could bust out into a round of trouble much quicker.

Hmmm I see, so you think i should tone down my camping outfit

rembo-pervaya-krov-silvestr.jpg

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back