Wake Up Call For All My RV Friends

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

"EZ"

Internet Forum Junkie since there was dial up!
RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Holiday Rambler
RV Model
Ambassador
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I know we've all read about tires on every RV forum on the internet. We've also watched all the fist fights that break out on how long to run your tires before you replace them or which tires are the best, etc. I'm not here to start any of that. I just wanted to share the pictures of some friends of mine that have a diesel pusher with a hydraulic lift on the back for their Goldwing, and also flat tow their Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk like we do. These are some folks I met riding motorcycles years ago and they travel all over the country in their RV. They are full timers so they know all the do's and don'ts about RV life. Yet they still had a TERRIBLE wreck a couple weeks ago that almost killed Shannon due to a tire failure.

Ryan said they were driving up I-75 in Florida in sunny 72 degree weather when they blew a right front tire. The motorhome drifted to the right and left the pavement. There was a VERY wide grass shoulder but he couldn't get the motorhome to stop or turn to the left. It headed straight for the only pine tree in sight and the tree nearly split the motorhome in half long ways. If you look at one of the pics you can see the right front of the motorhome is on the OTHER SIDE of the pine tree from the rest of the coach. Shannon was sitting right there in the passenger seat and took the full force of the impact. Ryan was ejected through the windshield and got a splinter in his knee. (yeah we kid him a lot about it) Shannon didn't fare so well. Her face was hit by a board (they found the blood soaked board later). It broke her eye socket and messed her face up pretty badly. Her leg had to be put back together with a lot of titanium.

I want this to be a reminder for everyone to check your tires as this RV season gets off to a start this year. I don't want to see any more pics like this. :cry:

Attachments

• IMG_2814.jpg
    IMG_2814.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2815.jpg
    IMG_2815.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_2812.JPG
    IMG_2812.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_2813.JPG
    IMG_2813.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_2810.JPG
    IMG_2810.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_2811.JPG
    IMG_2811.JPG
    333.3 KB · Views: 165
Wow. That is terrifying.

I know we've all read about tires on every RV forum on the internet. We've also watched all the fist fights that break out on how long to run your tires before you replace them or which tires are the best, etc. I'm not here to start any of that. I just wanted to share the pictures of some friends of mine that have a diesel pusher with a hydraulic lift on the back for their Goldwing, and also flat tow their Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk like we do. These are some folks I met riding motorcycles years ago and they travel all over the country in their RV. They are full timers so they know all the do's and don'ts about RV life. Yet they still had a TERRIBLE wreck a couple weeks ago that almost killed Shannon due to a tire failure.

Ryan said they were driving up I-75 in Florida in sunny 72 degree weather when they blew a right front tire. The motorhome drifted to the right and left the pavement. There was a VERY wide grass shoulder but he couldn't get the motorhome to stop or turn to the left. It headed straight for the only pine tree in sight and the tree nearly split the motorhome in half long ways. If you look at one of the pics you can see the right front of the motorhome is on the OTHER SIDE of the pine tree from the rest of the coach. Shannon was sitting right there in the passenger seat and took the full force of the impact. Ryan was ejected through the windshield and got a splinter in his knee. (yeah we kid him a lot about it) Shannon didn't fare so well. Her face was hit by a board (they found the blood soaked board later). It broke her eye socket and messed her face up pretty badly. Her leg had to be put back together with a lot of titanium.

I want this to be a reminder for everyone to check your tires as this RV season gets off to a start this year. I don't want to see any more pics like this. :cry:

Ugg!! One of my worst fears aside from a really bad driver! I have a steering stabilizer installed just for that reason but nothing is guaranteed!! So so sorry that it happened!!

Damn!

I had seen this on another site. Bad that it happened, good that it could have been worse.

Glad everyone is ok. This makes the decision for Tyron easier for me

Being the X-retired Trooper that I am.......I assume your friend doesn't wear his seat belt while driving the motorhome? He is very lucky.

This is a great reminder to everyone driving or towing any type of RV. I have never held back replacing my tires and have always considered my TPMS the most important piece of safety equipment that I use.

Glad they made it out of that crash alive and hope their recovery is quick and complete!

I read about this either on the Monaco facebook page or Bill D's Monacoers message board when it happened, don't remember which.

Chris Throgmartin (I think that's his name goes by Chris Talin on facebook) said he knew these people and they were on the way to his shop to have work done, not any work on anything that would cause this accident.
He said this guy is very conscientious and his tires were up to date and he's very meticulous with his coach, and a safe driver (not one of those guys in a pusher that blows by me doing 80-85).

Was definitely in the back of my mind when I drove my pusher to Sarasota last week.

OMG, that's horrible, thank goodness everyone survived. Blowouts and stupid drivers are my worst fears.

I have to agree with @lenny-shawna, makes the decision for Tyron a lot easier.

Latest resources

Back