• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Walkie Talkies

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We’ve been through a number of cheap walkie talkies and the set we have now is the best of the ones we’ve had. They are Midland X-Talker, 22 channel FRS walkie talkies. You can buy them for around $40 at Amazon or Cabela’s.

Our main use of these is when I back our fifth wheel into camp sites.

We’ve been through a number of cheap walkie talkies and the set we have now is the best of the ones we’ve had. They are Midland X-Talker, 22 channel FRS walkie talkies. You can buy them for around $40 at Amazon or Cabela’s.

Our main use of these is when I back our fifth wheel into camp sites.
Thank You

I too use Midland purchased at Best Buy, Mine is the higher power unit that you need to register to use all frequencies. We travel tandem so use them to communicate as we travel. We too use them to park the units.

Gmrs radios are the best way to go. It does require a fee to register, but 1 registration covers all your family and those temporary guests using your radio to talk to you.

My jeep has a 50w gmrs installed, and we carry handheld gmrs for the rest of the time.

I single-hand our trailer. That is to say, I do my own navigating when backing into a camping spot. I first "size up" the site to determine if it will fit and what has to be done in order to position the rig to make it fit. Then depending on if the site is on the passenger side or driver side, I take care of the inside of the turn and let the trailer slide into the spot. There is no need for hand signals, screaming, waving, hollering, and such. The total length of the truck and trailer is 58 ft. Once the trailer and truck are in the spot and straight, I then determine what is needed to level the trailer, move it forward or backward, as available, put down my leveling blocks and move the trailer onto the blocks. Oh, the marks on the front level indicate the amount of leveling height needed. Thus one mark, one block, two marks, two blocks, etc.

The toughest one I've encountered is at one of our favorite state parks where I have to make an S turn to get the rig in the spot. I first have to back to the left and around a curve and then to the right to get in the spot. Correctly adjusted mirrors come in real handy.

I single-hand our trailer. That is to say, I do my own navigating when backing into a camping spot. I first "size up" the site to determine if it will fit and what has to be done in order to position the rig to make it fit. Then depending on if the site is on the passenger side or driver side, I take care of the inside of the turn and let the trailer slide into the spot. There is no need for hand signals, screaming, waving, hollering, and such. The total length of the truck and trailer is 58 ft. Once the trailer and truck are in the spot and straight, I then determine what is needed to level the trailer, move it forward or backward, as available, put down my leveling blocks and move the trailer onto the blocks. Oh, the marks on the front level indicate the amount of leveling height needed. Thus one mark, one block, two marks, two blocks, etc.

The toughest one I've encountered is at one of our favorite state parks where I have to make an S turn to get the rig in the spot. I first have to back to the left and around a curve and then to the right to get in the spot. Correctly adjusted mirrors come in real handy.
Now that is impressive. Can you judge shadows and compass heading of the rig as well? Guess what I am asking is do you boon dock with solar?

Now that is impressive. Can you judge shadows and compass heading of the rig as well? Guess what I am asking is do you boon dock with solar?
Nope, no solar. Just shore power when available or generator as needed, otherwise it is the battery's capacity. Learning many years ago about parking and moving airplanes on busy ramps or taxiways, one learns that shadows on the ground are a big assist in getting things in place and straight and keeping separate. Just don't let the shadows touch or there will be other things that touch at the same time! If the shadows are separate, then the rig or trailer is in the clear as well. The GPS in the truck gives very accurate compass headings.

Oh, since I'm a ham radio operator, I do carry radios of various types, kinds, and such if needed. But doing single-hand with the trailer, who would I talk to other than myself? Oh, I do that a lot, sometimes when backing the trailer.

Nope, no solar. Just shore power when available or generator as needed, otherwise it is the battery's capacity. Learning many years ago about parking and moving airplanes on busy ramps or taxiways, one learns that shadows on the ground are a big assist in getting things in place and straight and keeping separate. Just don't let the shadows touch or there will be other things that touch at the same time! If the shadows are separate, then the rig or trailer is in the clear as well. The GPS in the truck gives very accurate compass headings.

Oh, since I'm a ham radio operator, I do carry radios of various types, kinds, and such if needed. But doing single-hand with the trailer, who would I talk to other than myself? Oh, I do that a lot, sometimes when backing the trailer.
I knew you were a ham K4TAX, Many times in the wild woods shadows are used to be sure my solar gets the sun it needs. I need someone on the ground to keep track of tree shadows. BS(before solar) I would just park where I wanted, now it is a little different.

Gmrs radios are the best way to go. It does require a fee to register, but 1 registration covers all your family and those temporary guests using your radio to talk to you.

My jeep has a 50w gmrs installed, and we carry handheld gmrs for the rest of the time.
Hi RB,
What things do you like about Gmrs over FRS like the Midland? Still trying to decide. TIA

Latest resources

Back