Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Alert WARNING: Using a bike cover while on a bike rack while driving can KILL someone

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Hello, my name is Darwin Neal. Today I asked myself a question I often wondered if I'd ever ask myself: "Where did my bike go?"

Today I left Vegas northbound for an absolutely spectacular drive. On I-15N taking in the amazing views of snowcovered mountains and driving through old stomping grounds I used to fly A-10's when I was stationed at Nellis AFB. Knowing I was heading for snow country I put the bike cover on my rack which I've used many times. I've often wondered if it was acceptable as it sure had to resist a lot of wind force but I have a hefty bike rack (Kuat NV 2.0) after selling my much more flimsy Yakima rack. My yakima rack had one of the plastic holder at the top shear so I was done with that early on, very very impressed with the Kuat and even after this story that sentiment remains because I am a dumbass.

Very fortunate my Ventana has a rear looking camera to help monitor the toad and traffic coming up from behind. I had just done a crosscheck paying careful note to the bike as on my way to southern TX I had another bike incident where the rear wheel detached from the frame (clamp came loose) and the bike was leaning aft 30-45 degrees. Moments later after verifying all was good with my bike I asked that bone chilling question "where did my bike go". I noticed people were avoiding me like the plague but no one signaled me of an issue, I'm sure it had just happened.

I immediately pulled over to find the bike barely hanging on connected by the plastic strap that secures the rear wheel. The front bar (u-hook) sheared off at the connection. Had this bike separated it could have killed someone. IT COULD HAVE KILLED SOMEONE! My life would have changed forever having to deal with that as well as whomever I caused harm to in the process.

I secured the bike to the inner mount and drove on. Shook up and was stunned for quite a bit of time from this situation. I am sharing my story as I've done with every other one so YOU CAN LEARN FROM THIS TOO as I know others use bike covers on their bikes too and you CANNOT!

Before I went off attacking Kuat I did a search of their web site. It is there, as included below, that NO, you cannot use a bike cover for this very reason. Maybe someone with a brain would have checked this prior to using a cover???

The bike sustained minor damage as I believe I caught this soon. I will need to replace the handlebar and one brake. Sadly I need this bike for an upcoming campground as I won't be near places I frequent but I think I can ride it. Fortunately plenty of bike places in AZ so I'll try to get it repaired or see if I can get the parts myself.

One other note: As my bike is not of great value (around $800 + accessories) and as I often remove it from the rack at the campground I rarely secure it with the built in lock cable. This lock cable can save a life. It would have prevented the bike from separating from the toad as the only thing holding this in place was a plastic ratchet strap down. I will now ALWAYS use the bike lock cable integrated into the bike rack.

Before I leave you with this here is a secondary question that I don't know the answer to. Which insurance IF ANY would cover this situation if property or life were affected by the bike? The toad is being towed so I don't know that the toad insurance would cover this situation. As this is not part of the RV I'm not sure the RV insurance would cover this? This is an interesting situation that would be even more legal fees trying to figure out who is responsible to cover the damage.

Please learn from this terrible day that ended up with no one hurt by the grace of God. I'm still razzled just thinking about this.

IMG_2391.png

IMG_2392.png
bike-cover-question.png

I can replace the one broken arm of the rack for $158. Don't really need it but I will likely order the part when back in stock.

Let's hear it for the A-10!!!!?

I use the Yakima Longhaul. Very sturdy. Since I am a security freak, I use the through the frame lock on the bike rack, plus the two shells are secured with a bycycle Chan that runs through the wheel , throughh the frame and is secured to the vertical part of the bike rack. The cover is tied on with knots at various points and a triple final knot. Nothing has ever budged over thousands of miles, including many trips on the Indiana bumpeay. They are repaying it now so recent travelers may not know what I am talking about.

Glad to hear nothing serious happened.

Yikes!!! Glad the bike didn't come completely loose. And, you are right in saying there could have been serious consequences if it had. One question you didn't answer is how baday was the bike damaged? Scary situation and we are thankful that the situation wasn't worse. Travel safely, my friend.

TJ

WHAT??? 3x8 groupset??? We got to get you hooked up with the SRAM Eagle 1x12 GX/NX groupset!!! I put them on Ronni’s and my Trek MtB. Much better than the stock Shimano.

You do raise a good point. We travel with our bikes covered quite a lot. We have a 1UpUSA rack though...and the Jeep probably blocks more of the relative wind. Hasn’t been an issue.

I’m not sure about the insurance question. We added an umbrella policy with USAA, might give them a ring and see what they say. You’re right...who’s court does it fall into???

Last edited:
Wow! Glad it didn't disconnect totally. Were you dragging the bike down the road?
On a side note, those mountains in the background sure look beautiful (y)

Glad this turned out to be a Learning moment without any injury. Thank you for sharing this, it is a good point to know.

Thanks Neal for posting this warning! I am taking delivery of the same Kuat NV 2.0 bike rack next week. Since this is the first time for me to haul bikes behind the toad I have been wondering about a cover for the bikes too. I had not considered, or even thought about, the added stress applied to the bike rack by the wind resistance created by the cover. Thanks for biting the bullet and posting this warning as it definitely prevented me from making the same mistake! You get big kudos from me and I'm sure many others who will ultimately benefit from your honest display of a mistake. What a great use of the forum!

Little off-topic. I had a bike rack that connected to the bumper on my Montana 5er and probably 20,000 miles with two bikes on it without a problem. A friend bought an Arctic Fox which better built 5er than my Montana and lost his bumper in less than 100 miles. Now I do recommend to use an RV approved rack and don't attach it to the bumper

I have a Yakima Four-Timer and carry it in the truck hitch with no issues, but I’ve not tried using a cover for this reason as well as the fact that they tend to block visibility of your toads tail lights, which can otherwise usually be observed through the bike wheels.

Still, it’s a hassle and at this point I am considering buying a fiberglass cap for the truck bed and carry the bikes in there, on a homemade PVC bike rack that just holds them vertical in transit. No fuss, best weather protection possible and we’d be a wee bit shorter.

Latest resources

Back