Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Brianj59

RVF Newbee
I’ve noticed my water holding tank is filling even though I’m hooked up to city water. Is there something wrong w/ my water pump? I’ve read I should shut the city water then run the pump to close a valve that gets stuck open. Is that the right approach?

Welcome to RVF, @Brianj59; glad to have you join us. It would help us help you if we knew the make/model/year of your RV as there are different ways those systems are implemented. Probably the most common is a manual valve located somewhere near the water pump. One position allows you to fill the water tank, another switches to just city water and, in some cases there's a third position for an "autofill" system.

Let us know what your RV is and it is likely that someone will know how that system works.

TJ

Welcome to RVF, @Brianj59; glad to have you join us. It would help us help you if we knew the make/model/year of your RV as there are different ways those systems are implemented. Probably the most common is a manual valve located somewhere near the water pump. One position allows you to fill the water tank, another switches to just city water and, in some cases there's a third position for an "autofill" system.

Let us know what your RV is and it is likely that someone will know how that system works.

TJ
Sure... 2017 Puma. 27’ TT... very few bells and whistles... there is a manual valve... do I just leave it open when hooked to water?

OK, even though I am not familiar with your specific TT, here's what I suspect. The valve you have is only for filling your fresh water tank. Open it to fill the tank and then close it when the tank is filled.

The city water connection (where the hose connects) is always open and providing water to the RV when connected to a park supply. There probably is not a valve to shut it off...except at the park spigot.

The water pump should be turned on when you are using water from the fresh water tank. When connected to and using water from a park water supply, the pump should be switched off. It likely won't hurt the pump to have it run even when you have city water, but it is unnecessary.

Test my hypothesis by (a) turning your valve to the off position while connected to city water and (with the water pump off) see if you have water at the faucets in the RV and (b) with all RV faucets off, turn the valve on and listen for water flowing into the fresh water tank (you can usually hear it).

Let us know what you find.

TJ

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back