Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

We Did It!!! (and now we have a couple of problems to solve!)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Dbarton02

RVF Regular
RV Make
Winnebago
RV Model
Adventurer 35U
RV Length
35'
TOW/TOAD
3 Kids and a Chocolate Lab... Hahah!
Fulltimer
No
Awesome to post this and say this is my first 'official' post as an RV Owner, and not just some random stalker with a username living vicariously thorough everyone else!

My wonderful wife and I pulled the trigger on an '02 Winnebago Adventurer 35U this past week, and decided to book a night at a local campground with our 3 boys and the pooch, and put it through it's paces for the night.
Everything checked out when I went over it, and the previous owner did say he had an issue with the AC compressor sometimes not kicking on, so we agreed on a lower price figuring I would eventually have to have it figured out.

SO - we got set up relatively quick, and got to learning all about our new addition to the family. After we got the kids to sleep, that's when the fun started.
Being it was about 40 degrees in Chicago over the last few days (at night) I kicked the furnace on to warm it up, and we went to lay down. Heat kicked on, and the floor vents ran, and then shut off after about 5 minutes. Couldn't get it to stay on to save my life - and when trying it again this morning, nothing would even fire. The fans run when you move the switch to ON and run the heat, but nothing happens when you set it up on Auto and try the same.
Spent the afternoon when we got back with my dad - yanked the furnace out, cleaned it out, and volt tested the limit switch, sail switch and the igniter - all which seem to be OK - though I ordered a new limit switch and igniter to toss on when they get delivered to be certain (30 bucks when all was said and done). Currently sitting disconnected in the coach, waiting for the new parts.

Went on to check the AC, figuring the capacitors might be crapping out - and when running the AC in the coach, the fans blow from the ceiling, but nothing comes out cool. Also, the energy management system sits at 2 amps running off generator power, so there is no additional power draw from the compressors (assuming the capacitors are bad). Figuring on ordering 2 new start kits for each compressor as well, as we have a campground booked in Michigan City Father's Day Weekend, and want to make sure we are able to stay cool during the day here. Moving the thermostat to AUTO does nothing when you set the temp - which adds another wrinkle. The fans only kick on there when moved to ON - so yeah - on to untying this knot with the help of a lot of people on here that are much more knowledgeable than I am!

First camp was a success! Kids loved it - we had a good time too - but now we have a couple problems to solve with the Heat and the AC.

Appreciate anyone's input to these issues, and how they may be remedied (especially if my action/solution is off-base).
Enjoy the weekend!

Thanks!

Dan

Congrats Dan, sorry to hear of the issues but it sounds like you went into this knowing you had some fixing up to do. Not uncommon for RV's and it's rewarding to be able to fix things and maintain it as much as you can on your own. Good learning opportunity. Hopefully you'll get things fixed up soon and enjoy the journey and your booked trip ahead.

Congrats Dan, sorry to hear of the issues but it sounds like you went into this knowing you had some fixing up to do. Not uncommon for RV's and it's rewarding to be able to fix things and maintain it as much as you can on your own. Good learning opportunity. Hopefully you'll get things fixed up soon and enjoy the journey and your booked trip ahead.
Thanks!
I'll get there, and I know it'll get fixed.
Part of the fun is learning as you go-and like my dad always says with anything DIY, "worst thing that happens is you jack something up, but you can always fix it"

We’re you by chance running your heat from a heat pump? They don’t work so good or really almost at all below 40-degrees. That’s furnace zone temperatures your dealing with.

No. I had it set to gas - though I think through some troubleshooting and knowledge base research, the issue has been figured out.
Just waiting on parts now.

*Update* (Sort of)
Replaced all the capacitors (hard start, motor run and the shared fan capacitor) - did an ohm test to the compressor leads to verify all ends balanced out - and jumped both the indoor and outdoor coil lead (thermister). Still have a rapid green blinking light on my board, and am about at a total loss with what else I can possibly do with this.

Latest resources

Back