Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins / I6 Diesel Pusher 600HP / 1,950 ft-lbs
TOW/TOAD
2016 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
No
Awhile back, @Joe Goodxrvn made a post about security and I was hoping to add this to that thread. But commenting has been turned off on so I'm going to post this here instead. If Admin or a Moderator wishes to move it, then please do so.

Big Tech has been overstepping its bounds for years and even though we've been aware of it, we continue to allow it. Counting on our elected leaders (and I use the word loosely) to protect our privacy, has proven a disappointment. So they mine our data, read our emails, monitor our messages and sell our data, all with permission that we give them in return for using their "free" email services.

We can do something about this if we try. For instance, I've been using duckduckgo.com for a couple of years and it's a great search engine. And no tracking.

I also use ProtonMail, which encrypts your email when it goes out and decrypts it when it gets to the recipients address. Again, no tracking, although if the person who receives my email isn't using ProtonMail as well, then the email is going to get read by that person's provider. i.e. Yahoo, Gmail, etc. Personally, I find that to be a criminal action as I have not given the recipient's mail provider authorization to read my mail.

And lastly, I just changed my browser from Firefox to Brave.com. Firefox (in my opinion) is a good browser, but I wanted to test out Brave. It was a very easy install and all of my Bookmarks were imported as well. And it is noticeably faster for some reason. No complaints at this time.

For those who use Facebook, try MeWe.com instead. It's got a learning curve and most of your friends probably aren't using it yet, but It's a good social media platform and we all need to support their efforts. Also Parler.com is a good Twitter substitute, although it is currently struggling to survive while it looks for a hosting site to replace Amazon's heavy handed assault.

To your privacy.

Jim

Jim,

Clearly we are on the same page:) ProtonMail is an excellent choice for email as is Tor & duckduckgo for search. I use ProtonMail for certain personal communication.
Thanks for the suggestion of Brave.com, I'll give it a try.
I have completely stopped FB and use MeWe, same Handle. Looking for an alternative to YouTube.

I turned off the "feature" that is closing threads after a year, so that won't happen again unless we find that it's needed.

As to privacy, I've been reading some tips lately on securing Facebook from their disgusting ways. This morning I went to the menu and then to Settings to make the recommended changes and Facebook shows an error when going to Settings. I will refrain from colorful comments but I cannot think of lower forms than Facebook's leaders/owner. Absolute disgust yet I do require Facebook to allow automated logins to sites like this and I do use it to connect with friends and family sadly. It still disgusts me! I don't have anything nice to say about Twitter's taliban leader either. But they too are not going anywhere, the platform is too good for what it was created for, I rely on it to stay in the know for software development, now of course news and politics have dominated it. Have to clean up who you follow but these platforms more so their leaders are trouble. They are in control of communications worldwide and censorship is now their privilege as we don't pay to use their services.

Personal data "free for all".... everyone is selling your data and it is being scooped up by Big Brother. Why should you care? If your phone happens to be recorded as located in an area of interest, regardless of the reason, you might get a visit or worse, a kick at the door. The current administration push for a Secret police force "to keep us safe from extremists" increases the concern

US military spies paid for Americans' cell phone data without warrant

Last edited:
Yes. Good points. I’ve helped many folks lock down their iPhones for privacy. Most don’t realize you can specify DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in Safari’s settings. There are quite a few other settings to clamp down the snooping.

Bet you all are tired of the “ironic” search suggestions huh? Yeah, if you’ve got the Google app, that microphone is ALWAYS listening. Same with SIRI. Both of those can be turned off in the Settings as well.

The mail is a whole nuther issue I hate to think about.

My whole family dumped Fakebook years ago when it produced more anxiety than it was worth. Like Neal, I wanted to keep it but the conflict was too great. It’s my loss, but principles have to matter at some point; no matter how small of a message I am.

Twitter..ugh. Yeah. Need it for emergency alerts for my law and fire agencies. But...when I can find a substitute...it’s BYE FELICIA!!!

I use MeWe instead of facebook and gab instead of twitter. I only access groups related to RVing. As far as family is concerned, I give them a phone call.
Web stuff I use firefox and duckduckgo.
The iphone I turned off Settings/Privacy/Location Services/System Services/Significant Locations. That tracks everywhere you've been.

I also dumped Facebook years ago. This is the closest I get to any social media.

I'm sure you have heard of the Tor Browser. When you browse the internet the browser will bounce all over the world so you may appear as coming from Italy when you're in San Diego. The default search engine is DuckDuckgo

I was on my phone to USAA about some rental house insurance. Within 10 min, I got a spam email on my laptop about house insurance from a company I've never heard of.

I was on my phone to USAA about some rental house insurance. Within 10 min, I got a spam email on my laptop about house insurance from a company I've never heard of.
That's scary.

Latest resources

Back