Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

DMan1717

RVF Regular
Just curious if anyone else has noticed the following? Been camping for many years and have noticed that every weekend brings a different type of camper. It appears that many local families use the camp ground as their cheap vacation and get-a-way to let their kids run wild through the campsites while the parents sit back drinking beer and paying NO attention to what their kids are doing or who they are bothering. Those parents never teach their kids about campground etiquette and how to behave. Come late Sunday or Monday morning this all goes away.

I raised my kids with respect and how to act toward others. Am I getting too old to expect that from today's parents???

ds

All depends on the campground. The ones that have amenities for kids such as a few on the east coast of VA this is normal ops. Just the way it is. Fact is kids will be kids and us RVers are going to be old and grumpy :) Various KOA's are like this as again they cater to kids more than others with pools and activities for them.

That’s why we like rv parks that have separate areas for 55+ and no kids areas. But you are right about the parents. I grew up in the post war 50’s behind the Iron Curtain. Discipline was administered by cops, teachers, parents and neighbors. And there was no one to run to and complain ?. Here, the tail wags the dog……

This is why we avoid weekends and holidays at campgrounds. If we have to stop at a CG on a weekend, we typically will step up to a pricier venue to avoid too many children

You are 100% correct DS, but I agree that it does depend on what campground you are in also.

We are doing an extended stay up north to help and spend some time with a couple aging parents (91 and 92 years old). By the time we leave this campground we will have been here about 3 months total.

On Friday it fills up and on Sunday about half the sites get empty. It is occupied by about 90% locals. It is a park district owned, river front facility with few rules. I have tons of "kids" stories. My latest is a youngster about 10 years old walked over to our site with a huge bag of bog poo in his hand. He asked "sir, can I put this in your trash can?" Since the campground dumpster was literally three sites down the road I just as politely told him "no son, you need to walk it down to the dumpster".

I'll give the kid 5 stars for being polite, but 1 star for being lazy.

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!! :LOL:

I raised my kids with respect and how to act toward others. Am I getting too old to expect that from today's parents???

ds

To be honest, probably yes. Times are a changing and parents are getting lax, at least in my opining. I was raised by my Grandparents and they weren't what I call strict, but they were consistent in their parenting approach. And mostly in the area of being polite and respectful of others. The "polite and respectful of others" part seems to be lacking these days.

Hold on there @"EZ", @FL-JOE just sent a kid your way. I think he has something for you.

You are 100% correct DS, but I agree that it does depend on what campground you are in also.

We are doing an extended stay up north to help and spend some time with a couple aging parents (91 and 92 years old). By the time we leave this campground we will have been here about 3 months total.

On Friday it fills up and on Sunday about half the sites get empty. It is occupied by about 90% locals. It is a park district owned, river front facility with few rules. I have tons of "kids" stories. My latest is a youngster about 10 years old walked over to our site with a huge bag of bog poo in his hand. He asked "sir, can I put this in your trash can?" Since the campground dumpster was literally three sites down the road I just as politely told him "no son, you need to walk it down to the dumpster".

I'll give the kid 5 stars for being polite, but 1 star for being lazy.
I was thinking same! ?

There were four of us kids when i was growing up, and we camped a lot (real camping in a tent, our own portable restroom setup for long-term) in as remote and primitive an area as Dad could find) and I remember my dad giving a bried “talk” before he stopped the car, when arriving home, or at a campsite …of what he expected from our duties and behavior, and safety. It was drilled into us so many times, I can’t imagine that we would have dared to annoy anyone. We avoided commercial campgrounds entirely - my folks turned their noses up at KOAs and made disparaging comments when we passed them.
I think that people who camp in ‘resort’ campgrounds with kids are a different breed. I’m thinking they do indeed turn the kids loose with zero manners training.

All seriousness aside............I'm pretty tolerant of kids. Especially young ones. I mean they're just kids. It's their parents that usually piss me off. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back