• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Duramax4life

RVF Newbee
Hello,

I think the image loaded ok. On the left was weighing my truck unhooked, and on the right, are the weights I got on the scale.. I see i'm over 160lbs or so for my total truck weight.. not sure what to do about that?

Also, does the tongue weight count towards my total truck weight ? the trailer is only allowed to weigh 12,000 lbs ..

Input ? thoughts ? Also, I see I "lost" 300 lbs on my front axle when I am loaded, is that ok, normal, expected, needs to be more ?

It is a 2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G and a 2006 Silverado 3/4ton diesel.

Attachments

• IMG-1367 (1).jpg
    IMG-1367 (1).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG-1333.jpg
    IMG-1333.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 62
Why was this thread moved to the "grand design owners" section ?

This has nothing to do with the brand of trailer I purchased, and everything to do with towing / hooking up..

Hello,

I think the image loaded ok. On the left was weighing my truck unhooked, and on the right, are the weights I got on the scale.. I see i'm over 160lbs or so for my total truck weight.. not sure what to do about that?

Also, does the tongue weight count towards my total truck weight ? the trailer is only allowed to weigh 12,000 lbs ..

Input ? thoughts ? Also, I see I "lost" 300 lbs on my front axle when I am loaded, is that ok, normal, expected, needs to be more ?

It is a 2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G and a 2006 Silverado 3/4ton diesel.
Weight included you and any other passengers, tong weight, and everything your truck carries, including fuel.
Tires and bearings last longer if the load is lighter but some things can't be avoided until you find what you can live without.

That being said;
I have lived with a statement that was made to me by a reputable person years ago. that 10% overweight will not produce blame in case of an accident. Driving ahead accounting for what you have behind is what you should be looking at. Uphills may be slower when overweight. Downhills will wear the brakes down faster, as engine braking will not be according to design specs.

If the truck was weighed with full fuel tank and normal passenger load (all who regularly travel in it while towing), I'd say you are marginal; right on the edge but probably doable. When it comes time to replace the truck, a one-ton would be a better choice IMO. I'd prefer to have a bit of a safety factor rather than to run on the margin.

TJ

When towing with any vehicle another weight to be considered is GCWR, Gross Combined Weight. This is your truck + trailer (5th wheel)
AE7E0030-B98B-428A-9C1D-A3D486982237.png
, I attached a page from 2006 owner’s manual which shows this @ 22000#. Based on your figures you are at 21,360# which is 97% of the GCWR. This is why @TJ&LadyDi is stating a 1 ton would be better, it will have a higher GCWR.

Answering your front axle weight with the trailer connected, the weight on the tongue is unloading your front axle. This is to be expected but to much will have an effect on the handling.

I agree with @TJ&LadyDi, you are probably borderline but within specs.

Latest resources

Back