Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question What are the best CELLULAR antennas for RV's today?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I cringe when asked "what antenna should I get?" and I've tested (bought) quite a few. Most recently I had great luck with the Pepwave "Puma" antennas (recently renamed) by going with separate Cellular and WiFi (probably because they didn't have an all in one) but that may be a good lesson learned as well. Based on @MapNerd's recommendation I spent some big money (got him back later) on Parsec Husky's (2) which I mounted on top of my air conditioner covers to get max height and unobstructed 360 degree view of towers. Cellular has been great, WiFi not so much, but the importance of a roof antenna, to me, is cellular. With that said I'd probably go with a cellular only for future roof antennas. Less wires means easier wire runs.

Lots of options out there, I have no experience with some of the brands that are popular among RVers. I've been impressed with the cellular performance of my Parsec Husky's so I'll stick to that brand at least for my first post. Again, Pepwave antennas worked well and part of that was their 6.5ft leads. Parsec's have a lot of options including long or shorter leads so be sure to order what you need and shorter is better.

So I took a look at the Parsec website this morning as I'm going to be asked this question again soon I'm sure. I noticed 3 Parsec's of interest. "Belgian Shepherd", "K9 Pro", and "Husky". Looking at the spec sheets (attached) it appears the K9 Pro is the best performing per dB gain values. I'm not sure if a ground plane is required on these lower profile antennas or not. I don't know what the "radiated efficiency" numbers are as there is quite a difference there. Maybe someone shopping for antennas should give Parsec a call or email and see what they suggest.

It's very important to look at the spec sheets (attached) to find the config you want, for example I'd buy a 4:1 (cellular only). Take that part number and google it to see where you can buy it.

Attachments

• BELGIAN-SHEPHERD-DATA-SHEET.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • HUSKY-SERIES-DATA-SHEET-2021.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • K9-SERIES-DATA-SHEET-8.3.21.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
That Belgian looks very interesting. I think Neal has made me spend 3-4x the amount of money by now that I made him spend. Others should learn this lesson.

Here are the Pepwave antennas:

Attached are the two options either for all in one or cellular only.

Attachments

• pepwave_mobility_40G_datasheet.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 9
  • pepwave_mobility_42G_datasheet.pdf
    7 MB · Views: 11
Some have mentioned Poynting which I have no experience with and it honestly still doesn't catch my eye. For those with Girard awnings you have a metal wall around your roof that you have to get above. Profile (height) of the antenna should be a concern especially with the taller coaches with less room to play for highway height concerns. (sorry, freeway for lefties).

Panorama is another brand I'd consider. I used their omni's early on and they worked well for that use which is quite different from today with 5G, etc. I believe.

The first two antennas in the Parsec post offer LTE-LAA which I am not aware of so I googled it. Looks like something to consider.

Husky is only one listed as "omnidirectional" so are the other two Parsec's directional?

Probably. They certainly look directional to me

The first two antennas in the Parsec post offer LTE-LAA which I am not aware of so I googled it. Looks like something to consider.

Is LTE-LAA something that also needs to be supported by the modem and or router though?

Latest resources

Back