Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question What are you paying too much for (summer 2021 edition)?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Okay, keep this thread in check...the gist is did you buy something today at some unusual price due to the shortages or pandemic? I'm trying to build a new PC, I haven't built one in years, I either buy from Dell for the PC side or Mac's for the Apple side. I need a new PC and decided to go back to the self built route. I'm unable to get a video card and prices are outrageous due to scalpers that get them and flip them for 3X MSRP. They are becoming available now but prices are still way jacked up.

I just bought a TPM module in another example. A site still has its old pricing listed of $19.99. I found one on Newegg and paid over $66 for it.

I returned home from my long RV trip to realize it's time to replace both air conditioning units. I have no idea what these cost a year ago but I have a feeling I'm paying twice what I could have back then. Problem is I don't know what I would have to pay next year if I didn't take care of this now.

Cars are selling above MSRP, ABOVE!!!!

What "taxes" are you seeing on your recent purchases? As I digressed to something I actually haven't bought, what I did buy was a computer part at over 3X normal price, and I'm buying two air conditioners at some unknown price over what it was. What are you buying or have you bought that suffered this horrendous markup situation we're seeing?

4 ton outside condenser/compressor heat pump unit. Compressor went out and the hvac guy talked me into getting one with high seer and 12 year warranty. $2900.
I only paid a little over 3 grand for the entire unit when I put it in, inside air handler, emergency heat and all.

2009 suburban with 218500 miles. Purchased in Kalispell MT June 28, 2021 for a great price of 7,500.

This would normally be less than 4k

I purchased a 2021 Dodge Ram 3500 Limited Loaded. Signed order may 2021 and took delivery end of June. Msrp was 91k. I paid 81k.

Dealer offered my 25k to *not* buy the truck and to let him sell it elsewhere. I declined.

Mine came with all the features, fully loaded and 2 keys. Dealers cannot get this anymore.

I was on the selling end. I bought a 2006 Jeep Wrangler in 2013 for $16,000. I sold it last month for $16,000 when I was asking $15,000 and I had prospects lined up. The buyer met me at my bank with 160 hundred dollar bills. The bank verified the bills were good and the amount was correct.

Grocery prices are OUTRAGEOUS in Calif, as is the Gasoline (due to their high taxes).

I'm on SNAP and my budget has been blown out of the water for our 6 week stay in Santa Clara, CA for a job. Milk $4.29 gal off brand; Thomas English Muffins 6 pack $4.49 not on sale; green leaf lettuce $2.19 a head (and I'm 45 min from the Salad Bowl of America!), Meat: well, I only buy the clearance stuff and even its expensive! Cat Litter, off brand canned cat food and dog food - way higher!

The only thing that is cheaper than Oregon, is alcohol. Our taxes on alcohol in OR is higher than Calif. And my SIL and DD drive over the state border to buy their beer and wine in Oregon, cus where they are in Washington state is even higher!

For the remodel: 1/2" plywood 4x8 = $103 a sheet. Actually all lumber like 2x4's and the like. Home Depot Behr paint much higher here. Sheetrock nails? Must be gold plated! 70' linear of friendly neighbor fence cedar with lattice above: $4500.

Luckily the owners ran out and bought a DW and a micro off the floor at HD as soon as I told them about the upcoming shortages, two months ago. If you wanted to special order any W/D, DW, Refrig or range: expect it to deliver in 2022, per Lowes and HD.

Guess I'm a thread killer! Another thing that we cannot find anywhere here in Silicon Valley. Junction boxes. Blue or gray remodel ones. All the Lowes and HDs are out, as are the 6 Ace Hardwares I drove to.

Ha...I live in California also and "murphysranch" pretty much nailed it. Regular gas is over $4.00 at discount stations $5.00 at Mobil, 76, etc... Our Central Coast Valley grow a large majority of the Country's broccoli and we pay $1.99 lb. Lumber is nutsville but due to the drought and proposed rate increases (already approved) water will be the next big expense. Costs a lot to grow your own food and have some flowers for the wife ? So I've put off building a shed until lumber gets reasonable again, and I am making reservations for close by weekend trips in the MH...oh yeah, another thing we Californians lead the way in are RV resort (not all should qualify as a resort) fees. Many are over $125.00 and some pushing $150.00 per night. So we just pull in spending and work a little more and know that the Almighty leads our Way...and we are grateful for each day.

Okay, keep this thread in check...the gist is did you buy something today at some unusual price due to the shortages or pandemic? I'm trying to build a new PC, I haven't built one in years, I either buy from Dell for the PC side or Mac's for the Apple side. I need a new PC and decided to go back to the self built route. I'm unable to get a video card and prices are outrageous due to scalpers that get them and flip them for 3X MSRP. They are becoming available now but prices are still way jacked up.

I just bought a TPM module in another example. A site still has its old pricing listed of $19.99. I found one on Newegg and paid over $66 for it.

I returned home from my long RV trip to realize it's time to replace both air conditioning units. I have no idea what these cost a year ago but I have a feeling I'm paying twice what I could have back then. Problem is I don't know what I would have to pay next year if I didn't take care of this now.

Cars are selling above MSRP, ABOVE!!!!

What "taxes" are you seeing on your recent purchases? As I digressed to something I actually haven't bought, what I did buy was a computer part at over 3X normal price, and I'm buying two air conditioners at some unknown price over what it was. What are you buying or have you bought that suffered this horrendous markup situation we're seeing?
Just curious. Why are you having to buy two new air conditioners? 2017? 2018? I have a 2015 so I’m starting to worry. RV Services of VA wants to service my two units. Not sure what they do that I can’t. What do you recommend?

Just curious. Why are you having to buy two new air conditioners? 2017? 2018? I have a 2015 so I’m starting to worry. RV Services of VA wants to service my two units. Not sure what they do that I can’t. What do you recommend?
I wish it was for the RV but it's the house. 16 years old and time to pay my dues. 3 arms and 9 legs!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back